We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Athens

Exeter, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Athens

Hi We are driving from Athens to Lefkas and back for a two week holiday we have booked on Lefkas. Could anyone advise how long this is likely to take? Also on the way back we will want to stop for the night somewhere nice and comfortable within an hour and a half of the airport. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Preveza
Destination Expert
for Parga, Preveza
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Athens

It should take you approx 5.30hrs - my husband does it in 4hrs - BUT I wouldn't recommend that!!

Once you cross the Rio bridge there's a nice cafeteria called La Plaza to stop at. You will need another 2.30 - 3hrs from there.

The best bet is to stay at the Holiday Inn at the airport - someone may have better solutions. Please drive carefully - the stretch of road from Corinth to Rio needs your full attention at all times. Have a great holiday.

Nantwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
802 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Athens

I would reckon about 5 hours drive. The road has improved around the Agrinio area which cuts a half hour off the time but the road from corinth to Patras has got worse - multiple road works along this road. For staying overnight I would recommend the Vouliagmeni area of Athens - Its not too far away and is on the coast.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
UK and Lefkada
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Athens

For a stop within an hour and a half of the airport: That's just the right time for Loutraki, a lively little seaside town near Corinth (10 mins from the main highway) with a wide choice of hotels and restaurants for every budget and a decent beach.

Or closer to the airport, try the Cokkinis Hotel between Kineta and Megara (you can find it on booking.com) -- we recently stayed there for the first time on the way back from Lefkada to Athens, it's 10 mins from the highway (take the "Kineta" exit, follow signs towards Kineta, and look out for Cokkinis Hotel signs, just keep following the road for about 5 kms). Nice friendly hotel, a bit old-style but clean & bright, reasonable prices, stunning views, lovely beach with good clear water for swimming. It has its own restaurant, luckily, as it's miles from anywhere else, but never mind, the food is good and the prices are standard taverna prices. I highly recommend this. We timed it from the hotel to the airport next morning and it was 50 mins -- 10 mins to get back to the highway (don't go back the way you came, just continue along the same road -- it's the old coast road, and it takes you to the next junction at Megara) and then 40 mins to the airport. We were getting a plane at 1.30 so had time for a swim before breakfast at the hotel. What a way to end your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Athens

Hi

Did you drive from Athens to Lefkas?

On May 2014 we are renting a boat from Lefkas

Which is the best way to get there from Europe, we will be coming from South America

Thank you in advance for any answer

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Athens

''the stretch of road from Corinth to Rio needs your full attention at all times'''

that's an understatement.. especially if you are using it for the first time drive really slow and be alert the whole time..if you are careful you should be fine

Edited: 24 December 2013, 02:11
Lefkáda, Levkas...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Athens

There are plenty of flights from Northern European countries to Preveza (for example from the UK flights leave from London Gatwick and Manchester on Sundays with Monarch, Thomas Cook, BA and Thomson, or several German cities on Saturdays with Condor and others). If you're arriving from South America you'll probably find you have to spend the odd night in the UK or Germany to connect with a flight, so it's not going to be the most straightforward journey - but it will be worth it when you're there :-). Preveza is only 30 minutes drive from Lefkada. I tend to use www.skyscanner.net (from all countries) and www.charterflights.co.uk (UK charters) to find flights - between these two you should see pretty much all of the options.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Germany
Germany
Europe
Lefkáda, Levkas...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Athens

Jut a couple of other thoughts on places to stay, if you're looking for an added dimension rather than just the drive back to the airport. Ancient Corinth is well worth stopping off at to wander round for a couple of hours, and is less than 5 minutes off the main route. As another reply mentioned, you could easily find somewhere to stay overnight at Loutraki. A slightly longer journey would be to stay on the northern side of the Gulf of Corinth after Antirrio (i.e. don't cross to Rio on the bridge), which would mean you could visit the magnificent and extensive site of Delphi (about 3 hours drive from Lefkada). In nearby Arachova there are many hotels, and both Delphi and Arachova are set in beautiful mountain scenery. The following day it will be another 3 to 3.5 hours on to Athens. Both journeys are very beautiful (although I'll admit that having now driven the Corinth route dozens of times it's starting to pall a little bit!), and the roads and route-finding are straightforward.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Level Contributor
2 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Athens

It's about three hours by car, five on the bus. There isn't much in terms of habitation on the way down (personally I booked a nice hotel in Athens for the overnight then got a cab to the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
9. Re: Driving from Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 05:21
Get answers to your questions about Lefkada