We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paxos first-timer. Please help!

Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Paxos first-timer. Please help!

Hi,

I'm asking for advice about timings and wonder if anyone can help. We're going to Paxos in a few weeks, can't wait :-) On our way back from Paxos to Corfu we're getting the Zanadu ferry at 19.00 that gets into Corfu at 21.00. Our flight is at 22.45 from Corfu- does that sound enough time to get from the port to the airport, through passport control etc? I have no idea about the logistics of it and the distances etc.

Any help much appreciated as I'm a bit stressed out about the prospect of missing our flight, but the only other ferry time back is 4pm.

Thanks in advance.

warwickshire
Level Contributor
403 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paxos first-timer. Please help!

Personally, if you are worrying about it now I would give yourself some peace of mind and get the 4pm ferry over. With that extra time you can for a couple of Euros leave your bag safe at the port and then take a walk into Corfu town for a meal.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paxos first-timer. Please help!

You are cutting it too tight even without taking into consideration the possibility of either the boat not sailing for whatever reason or being delayed by bad weather, Either of those eventualities would mean you missing your flight.

Much better (and safer) to take either the 4.30pm ferry via Igoumenitsa which gets you into Corfu about 8pm or take the Despina which leaves Paxi around 3pm getting into Corfu at 5pm. I think those time are correct but check them locally.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paxos first-timer. Please help!

The Despina I mentioned in the last post only operates at that time on a Monday I think but as I said check all times locally but do take an earlier boat than the one you intended.

Stockport
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paxos first-timer. Please help!

I fully agree with the others that you're definitely cutting it too fine. Assuming that the boat and your flight are both on time, by the time you've collected your bags off the boat, found a taxi and made it to the airport, you would probably have only around 45 minutes to get through the check-in and security queues before the flight starts boarding.

Get an earlier ferry and if you have a few hours to kill you could do what we did a couple of weeks ago - hop in a taxi from the port to the Liston, spend a couple of hours chilling out with a beer or glass of wine or two and people-watching before getting another taxi from the rank, near where the horse carriages set off from, straight to the airport. A perfect stress-free end to your holiday!

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
281 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paxos first-timer. Please help!

Totally agree - I would definitely catch the 4PM ferry and then chill out for a while in Corfu Town. Bearing in mind, most tour operators like you to arrive at the airport at least 2 hours before your departing flight, to be safe you would need to be at Corfu Airport around 20:45 hours, therefore, the 19:00 hours ferry is too late and far too tight! Hope you have a great time - we have to wait until June 2015 for our next trip to Paxos!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paxos first-timer. Please help!

Agree with all of the above!

2 hours is the normal check in time at at Corfu airport that's cutting it fine as it's often organised chaos!

Get to Corfu early, go for a walk round the old town, you'll be very glad that you did

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paxos first-timer. Please help!

Whilst I agree that you should get the earlier ferry, I wouldn't be too put off about the hell that is Kapodistrias airport. It sounds like you're travelling independently, which gives you a headstart.

The usual scenario involves harried travel reps kettling then herding fractious lines of returnees in a dance taking in an hour queueing outside then an hour queueing inside. The game starts with people getting off coaches, which happily you will avoid. You don't need to play the queueing game. Instead, get there 90 minutes before you fly and enter the airport via the exit doors to the right of the terminal as you face it. From within, walk to departures (which is likely to be thronging) and find a seat from which to observe the boards. when your flight is opened, just go and check in.

You may well find a travel rep trying to tell you to go outside and join the back of a long, stationary queue. Bear in mind that that travel rep has absolutely no power or authority to tell you where to go and not go. Be polite but firm, and ignore them if they tell you (as they might) that they will prevent you from boarding. They have no power or authority to do that either.

It might sound like a very unEnglish thing to do, but just remember that by doing your own thing, you will save yourself from an hour or two or pointlessly standing around, and you won't be delaying anybody else for even a second.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paxos first-timer. Please help!

We flew back today and Corfu airport was empty. You could easily get from the entrance doors through check in, security and passport control and to the gate within 25mins. BUT, from previous experience this is something of a one off!!!

You could well make it with your timings but personally, I'd rather get the earlier ferry and spend a relaxed few hours in Corfu old town having a nice meal etc before getting a leisurely taxi to the airport.

Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paxos first-timer. Please help!

Thank you very much for your advice- we will definitely book the earlier boat.

10. Re: Paxos first-timer. Please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 05:17