We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

zakynthos to athens

Ireland
Level Contributor
477 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
zakynthos to athens

Hi I hope to visit Zakynthos in September, we would love to spend a couple of days in Athens, any advice on the best way to do this. Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Zakynthos
Zakynthos
Ionian Islands, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos, Tsilivi, Kalamaki
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: zakynthos to athens

I would do it independantly if you want a few days. Buy a ticket from the office on the port road in Zakynthos town to Athens, this will include your ferry and coach and it doesn't cost that much. It will take you the same time as a tour to get Athens (4-5 hours in all) then a taxi from Athens bus station to the centre then find a room. Travel light with a backpack is the best way as its then easier to get around.

Mentioned in this post
Zakynthos Town
Zakynthos Town
Zakynthos, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Milton Keynes...
Destination Expert
for Argassi
Level Contributor
5,506 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: zakynthos to athens

hi if you dont fancy the ferry and bus,there is a daily island hopper flight from zante to athens.you can get a bus or taxi from the airport to the centre of athens.

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: zakynthos to athens

I have done that trip several times using the method that Kevin is advocating; it worked great, and was very comfortable.

Back when I did it, though, you bought your bus ticket, got on the bus, got off the bus, bought your ferry ticket *separately*, got on the ferry, got off the ferry, got back on the bus. I see from Kevin's post that this has now changed, to be even simpler now :)

Ireland
Level Contributor
477 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: zakynthos to athens

Thank you all for your very helpful advice. Looking forward to the trip

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: zakynthos to athens

Hi romurphy

You can also take an organised 2 day trip from any of the tour agents in Zakynthos.

My parents did it a couple of years ago as a last minute decision and while they enjoyed the trip, they said if they had decided earlier they were going to go to Athens, they would have done the research and gone independently. They would have had more time to do what they wanted and could decide how to spend their time rather than sticking to the tour schedule.

I'd go with the other posters and go yourself, but this is also an option just in case.

Enjoy the hols :D

Mentioned in this post
Zakynthos
Zakynthos
Ionian Islands, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Ireland
Level Contributor
477 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: zakynthos to athens

Thanks again, does anyone know the cost if we do it independantly? And does the ferry run more than once a day? Times? all info appreciated

Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos, Tsilivi, Kalamaki
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: zakynthos to athens

Best bet is to arrive here and go to town and visit the tour shop on the port road you may find the price different on the day than in advance.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
10,951 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: zakynthos to athens

4/5 a day, on here,

www.ktel-zakynthos.gr/en-external-routes.html

9. Re: zakynthos to athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2009, 07:17