We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Zakynthos

Provo, UT
Level Contributor
179 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Zakynthos

My husband and I are staying in Zakyunthos for 3 nights in June. I am just beginning my research, but I was hoping someone can give me suggestions on what town to stay in.

We want to do a cave tour and possibly shipwrech beach as well. We also want to stay on a sandy beach.

Any suggestions of town and hotel would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos, Tsilivi, Kalamaki
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Zakynthos

I'd stay at the Strada Marina Hotel on the port front in Zante town then head out to a different resort each day. As for the Caves they are scattered all over the island and don't go deep in to the mountain sides just in a few metres but worth a visit. Shipwreck is a must either via boat or from the viewing platform.

peterborough
Level Contributor
978 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Zakynthos

How about Alikes or Alykanas they both have lovely sandy beaches you can easily get around from here.

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Zakynthos

I also think Alykes or Alykanas would be suitable. Both have lovely sandy beaches and there is a boat trip to the Blue Caves that you can pick up in either resort.

Provo, UT
Level Contributor
179 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Zakynthos

What would be the difference in staying in Zante and the Alykes or Alykanas area?

Also, should we rent a car?

peterborough
Level Contributor
978 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Zakynthos

Zante Town is the main town on the island and really doesn't have sandy beaches, it has shops and banks and good restaurants etc it is where the ferries go in and out..

Alykes and Alykanas are set up for holiday makers and both have a lovely long stretch of golden sand.

I would have a car and then you can easily get round to see the whole of the island it is beautiful inland too.

Provo, UT
Level Contributor
179 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Zakynthos

Thank you! Is it better to rent a car once were there, or reserve one before?

Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Zakynthos

Alykes/Alykanas if your thinking of staying in one resort for 3 days is a good resort with a great beach but in my opinion a bit far away as its the furthest main resort north if you weren't hiring a car.

The reason why i said Zakynthos town is because to the one side of the town you can get to Tsilivi, Alykes/Alykanas and to the north where you can get to the shipwreck, windmills and blue caves.

On the other side of the town you have Vassilikos, Argassi, Kalamaki, Laganas and Keri and the west of the island where there are no resorts but some lovely little local villages, views and scenery, also the best beaches are near Vassilikos, there are caves at sea near Keri and inland caves on the west of the island.

So the reason why i said the Strada Marina in the town is because its a good central base especially if your only spending 3 days there and won't actually be staying in the resort.

Here's a map so you can see the locations of both. The town is marked as ZAKYNTHOS.

greeka.com/ionian/…zakynthos-map.gif

Edited: 06 April 2010, 17:16
Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Zakynthos

I'd hire a car when you arrive, plenty of car hire firms.

peterborough
Level Contributor
978 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Zakynthos

I guess it just depends which type of place you are looking for really, both have good merits and we visited all the places mentioned on two little scooters when we stayed in Alykanas nothing seems that far away on the island.

I am sure in June if you wait til you get there you will find a good deal on a car.

Provo, UT
Level Contributor
179 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Zakynthos

Thank you all for your information. It is very much appreciated.

If Vassilikos is the best beach, would you suggest staying there? I kind of like the idea of a resort hotel. We won't be staying the whole time, there, but it would be nice to be stationed in the area we will be spending a lot of time.

My husband also likes to SKIMBOARD. Do you know if this is popular on any of the beaches. It needs good waves rolling in on the beach.