We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

on the beach holidays

uk
Level Contributor
66 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
on the beach holidays

Booked a holiday with ON THE BEACH on 2/5/10 to greece. Arrived at aiport 2 hours before check in and was informed check in was closed and ON THE BEACH had cancelled our tickets and the airline had sold our seats although we had confirmation of flights and hotel. Also had etickets sent to us for flights.No one at the agents desk helped, us just told us to ring ON THE BEACH that was 10 pence a minute.What a waste of money and time they could not do anything so we ended up no holiday. But money had been taken out of our bank for the holiday .The extra costs for petrol car parking as we live 2 hours away spent most of the day travelling and hanging around a airport.

Would i recommend this company never . we still not had our money returned allthough several phone calls to them and letters abata now involved please look at all sites before you book with them as everyone is having problems with them

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: on the beach holidays

Wendy, I am so sorry that you have had trouble with them on this occasion and can understand you being furious..

I too, had a problem with my booking for a holiday to Ibiza in early May..

As they are a low cost organisation, I double checked everything and spotted an anomaly in the flight arrangements.........They did make a mistake, initially, re the flight home.

However, on contacting them, they were very apologetic and rectified it immediately.

We ended up with an extra day and night at the hotel (at their cost)

It is truly horrible to have things go as wrong as yours did, but to say that everyone is having problems with them is perhaps a little inaccurate.......

I am sure that many people must use them without any problems at all or they would be out of business in no time..

I'm not doubting you, but are you absolutely sure that you were on time for check-in and had confirmed everything on-line as it all sounds very odd? .

Mentioned in this post
Ibiza
Ibiza
Balearic Islands, Spain
2. Re: on the beach holidays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2010, 00:25
Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: on the beach holidays

Hi Wendy......No I certainly don't work for this company LOL!

I usually travel independently and this was the first time that we have used them. ( Elderly Ma on tow this time who likes a different type of holiday)

I am quite aware of the trouble that some have had with this company but we tend to hear from those who had problems rather than those who don't.

I was not disbelieving what you said at all. I was merely asking if there could have been other factors that may have contributed to the mess you found yourself in....I was trying to make sense of what had happened to you

The reason that I took the time to respond was simply because after we initially had a problem, they put it right immediately.

This cost them, they were thoroughly apologetic and they put it right !

I was not trying to insult you ( that is sooo not my style and I did say how horrid it must have been for you) I was merely pointing out that 'not EVERYONE was having problems with them'.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: on the beach holidays

Never used them as I can book what they give me on my own and cheaper! All they do is sell you a flight and a hotel, most peeps can do that themselves. And I just did a dummy booking and they want to charge me more for luggage than the actual airline charges, nice little earner! The reviews are bad, donr reply to email, can never get through at 10p per min etc...

You can book your own holiday, buy the flight, choose your digs then sort your transfer out.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: on the beach holidays

Exactly zibbysboy!

That's why we usually do the same.

However, on this occasion we couldn't match the price ourselves by booking separately and it was a last minute deal.

We got the whole thing for just over the price of the flights.

It doesn't always happen that way but this time it did. :O) :O)

Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: on the beach holidays

Ziggysboy,hello again...have u always done DIY hols or have u done package hols aswell?We always do a package hol,but 1 yr would like to try going independantly.Has always worried me thou (like if things go wrong,delays,cancellations etc)wud u get money back? (especially with the volcanic ash malarkey!!!)Not worried bout hiring car from airport or being in resort without rep on hand, just air side of it really.Do u get a better deal with DIY and how far in advance do u normally book it all up before u go away.One thing for sure,wont use above hol company (dont sound good!!).Thank you....

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: on the beach holidays

Hi Jess, only been going indy for the last six years. Got fed up of night flights and the rigid 1/2 week holidays on offer from the TO's. Have used XL, before they went bump, Thomsons, Thomas Cook and Easyjet for flights. All these airlines will let you book one way so I get the return price from each airline then the 2 single legs to Corfu. Sometimes you can mix n match the airlines and save a few quid. Last year we went with Thomsons but flew back with Thomas Cook, saved £55 each! Last year we went for 3 weeks, year before 24 nights, its so flexible!! I dont book the flights till about 2/3 months before or if they have a sale on. This year the prices have really dropped nearer the time, £78 for a 2 week return flight!! Because we know the peeps out there we dont pay a deposit we just take the money with us and pay them on arrival. We get picked up at the airport free of charge, always a few beers and stuff in our fridge again free of charge. Dimitri keeps chickens so we get eggs every other day. His wife Katerina has cooked us meals, again they wont take a bean off you!! We were invited to their Daughters wedding in November last year, flew EJ Manc/Corfu for £40 then Athens/Manc £50. Stayed in our usual studio free of charge and had evening meals with all the family, lovely!!

I think you get to know the family better going indy, sometimes its the same as a package others dearer, but its worth it!!

Edited: 05 July 2010, 21:27
Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
8. Re: on the beach holidays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2010, 00:25
Johnstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: on the beach holidays

Bit strong there Sherco62, everyone is entitled to an opinion and they are quite within their rights to air it, even if you do not agree with it. Your opinion is no more valid than the next persons.

I have heard all the horror stories about OTB, fortunately all after we used them to travel on a 2 week break to Sharm a few years ago. Got to say we recieved excellent service from them although that may have been more luck than anything else, who knows?

I would probably be unlikely to use them again though, mainly due to the bad press they have been on the recieving end of. You do however hear of horror stories with every travel agent and it is up to the individual to make their own decision.

Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: on the beach holidays

Thanks alot Ziggysboy....very informative.Think we will hav 2 go indy defo 1 year,cos I'm getting annoyed with nite flites etc.We get into Sidari at 4am this year and its tiring for us all (especially with a 4 yr old and my mum whose 71)!!!Flite home even worse,leaves Corfu at 2.50am,but never mind.The family you stay with sound so nice.We are lucky to hav met people like that ourselves so I'm sure we'd be ok if sumthing did go abit wrong on hols (sum reps tend to be abit useless anyway sumtimes).Had our son's suitcase nicked at Corfu a/p last yr and the rep didnt want 2 help at all.Very upsetting and an awful end to a g8t hol.Thanx again and on another note,hope all u people with probs with OTB get your money back.Cant imagine anything worse than getting to a/p 2 b told u've no holiday.......

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece