We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forest fires

Kelso
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Forest fires

I was so sorry to hear of the forest fires on the island. Does anyone know if they have managed to get them under control yet?

Bob

Stockport
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Forest fires

No they still trying the 3 fire planes constantly flying over our apartment.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
172 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Forest fires

Oh my word, where are you staying Jane V?

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
172 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Forest fires

Also meant to ask, TweedK where did you hear about this? I can't find any info relating to it. I knew they had fires on Kefalonia a couple of weeks ago but this is the first I've heard about Zakynthos. Would very much appreciate if you could post a link to a news site?

Thanks in advance

SP

Desford, United...
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Forest fires

There is a report here: http://www.athensnews.gr/portal/1/57773

Kelso
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Forest fires

Hi SP I saw it on the Athens News website that Island Hopper mentioned above, but I haven't been able to find an update. They have also had dreadful fires on Chios. As if Greece didn't have enough to cope with already.

Bob

England
Level Contributor
416 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Forest fires

There were 4 fires raging at the same time. 10 fire trucks were sent over from the mainland on Wednesday to help.

The planes have been damping down for the last couple of days, haven't seen them today, but they usually fly over us from the mainland about 8ish in the morning and we were late up today!

Police and fire investigators are coming over from the mainland to try and find the people responsible for setting these fires and sort it all out for once and all.

It is really devasting this beautiful island.

Kelso
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Forest fires

Thanks for that update Saganaki. It has been reported that several of the fires on Chios and elsewhere are also thought to have been started deliberately. I cannot begin to understand the mentality of someone who would do this. I hope that you continue to enjoy your holiday safely.

Bob

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
172 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Forest fires

Thanks for your replies Islandhopper and Tweed. That news link makes devastating and unsettling reading. Although luckily there is no mention any casualties.

As you say Tweed, as if Greece doesn't have enough to cope with already. Very sad to say but the deliberate setting of the fires isn't really a surprise. Hope they find whoever is responsible.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday Saganaki.

Milton Keynes...
Destination Expert
for Argassi
Level Contributor
4,964 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Forest fires

Not sure if this is true or a load of rubbish,but a few years ago when there was a large fire up in the mountains in zante i was told that locals cant sell the land as its fertile but if it were to be raised to the ground by fire then they could sell and the land would be worth tenfold.As said maybe rubbish but i would imagine it would be prime land with stunning views for developers to build villas on.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,407 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Forest fires

That's exactly what I've heard Pete. The fires have been a regular occurence for many years now & I've noticed that places where there were fires a few years ago seem to have new developments on them. I seem to remember there was actually a prosecution a year or two back of someone who set fire to his land deliberately.

Also, considering how often these fires start & the size of them there seems to be surprisingly few (if any?) casualties

Edited: 26 August 2012, 18:38
Get answers to your questions about Zakynthos