We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many hand luggage items?

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
How many hand luggage items?

Hi, we are travelling with jet2 and are taking hand luggage only. The airline say one item of hand luggage per person. But, can I take a handbag as well? And can my husband carry a a mini-laptop bag too? I know I may sound as though I'm answering my own question but as we are not checking in any luggage how does jet 2 actually know how much hand luggage we have?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,811 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many hand luggage items?

As you leave the gate lounge to get onto the plane, a member of the airline's staff examines your boarding pass. And at the same time, sees how much carry-on luggage you have.

The Jet2 web site clearly says you can take one small item of hand luggage. You should assume that the word "one" actually means "one".

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,221 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many hand luggage items?

The only way to take those items is to make sure there is space inside your main bag...not easy with just 10kg per bag to play with. They are quite explicit on their website so assume they will enforce it .nWhen you check in you will probably be asked to show your hand baggage and sometimes airlines will want to weigh it too.

"Each passenger is allowed one piece of hand baggage weighing no more than 10kgs and dimensions not in excess of 56x45x25cm including wheels and handles. Any piece of baggage that does not meet these requirements will need to be checked in as hold luggage and the relevant fee will be charged at check in."

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many hand luggage items?

Thanks for that, think it's pretty clear isn't it- one item. Thnk I'll be having to pack very wisely!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many hand luggage items?

Just make sure though that by the time you've stowed your handbag or whatever in your other larger bag, that that doesn't then make the larger bag too big for the carry on size rules. My wife flew easyJet Bristol - Newcastle a few months ago, took a small carry on case which was well within EJ's cabin size allowance, but when she placed her handbag in the case prior to boarding, one of EJ's minions asked to see her case, announced it as "being too big" even though she wasn't given the chance to see whether if did fit into the size gauge, pulled her out of the queue and she had to cough up forty quid to have the bag placed in hold luggage.

Mentioned in this post
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,221 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many hand luggage items?

I am in awe that you can pack all you need into 10kg :) I do take less these days but still need hold baggage.

England
Level Contributor
501 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many hand luggage items?

Check their website carefully. It will tell you if you have to pack laptop/handbag into your hand baggage or can carry them in addition.

Also think about toiletries. Only 100ml bottles allowed on as ahnd baggage and only a limited amount of those.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
4,077 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many hand luggage items?

Don't forget to fill your pockets & wear a jacket etc. It might be hot but if you're actually wearing it, whatever you have in your pockets doesn't count as "hand luggage" so fill all your pockets.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
386 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many hand luggage items?

10kg is a pretty generous carry on allowance. We're flying with Airtours and hand baggage is only 5kg.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many hand luggage items?

But do Airtours give you a free baggage allowance of 15kgs, in the hold?

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many hand luggage items?

Yes having only 10kg will be a challenge to say the least but we don't want to pay the extra and being able to go straight to departures at the airport and after not wait for the suitcase conveyor belt sounds fab!!! I like having loads of different outfits to wear... But not this holiday it seems!