We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfares

Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Airfares

I have a noticed a surge on flight only fares. Can anyone understand why this is happening?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
610 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfares

Nick

It's down to availability and popularity as the seats get fewer the prices rise. So as the season gets nearer the prices rise.

I did read somewhere that flight only is getting more popular as people are wanting the choice and independence. Travel companies will hate this as they want to wreap the profits from the rooms and all inclusive hotels.

The large operators have have increased there prices from scratch, I'd imagine to discourage people from travelling flight only. I've found that the smaller airlines such as Jet2, Ryan and Easy are a lot cheaper in the first instance.

We travel independent and to be honest it's not that much cheaper than a package these days over a two week holiday. I will continue to do so as I'd rather my money go to the local people than some large faceless corporation.

Edited: 04 March 2013, 09:29
Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,242 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfares

We tried to book independently for this summer and just for the flights alone we couldn't get anywhere near the prices offered for a full package by the TO's. Admittedly we would be travelling peak season but it's a bit disheartening even so.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfares

Hi there

Bear in mind as well that Kosmar/XL, who hit the skids a couple of years ago, had more than 20 aircraft in their fleet. As well as filling the seats with their own customers, they also sold seats to other tour operators. 20 aircraft x 150 seats ( or more) even making just one outbound flight per day equates to 3,000 places less. No doubt, other airlines have filled some of that shortfall but it is very noticeable how flight only rates have increased since then

Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos, Tsilivi, Kalamaki
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfares

Tour companies are getting wise to flight only holidays with hotels giving competative rates so to try to persiade people to go with a full package holiday making the tour company more money they charge the flights almost as much as a full holiday.

As ian has said its only cheap for a seat if your on the right website at the right time. A friend of mine who works for an independent travel agent shop in the UK told me ages ago that seat prices go up after every 20 seats are sold so by the time the flight is only half full the seat prices are almost at a premium.

Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfares

The saying goes...”give people want they want” and the companies that control the flights should start realizing that today’s traveller wants to be independent and to have a choice. The “scare” tactics may have a place in politics but in the travel industry it’s only a matter of time till it back fires on them. Raising prices on flight fares to encourage the holiday maker to choose a package deal is a primitive method and the TO’s should come to terms that they are the minority. The majority of travel makers want to be flexible with their holiday and the majority of hoteliers want the independent traveller simply because it will be more beneficial for both parties.

Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfares

The tour companies will do whatever they can to make the most profit no matter what the public want.

The majority take package holidays so thats why its cheaper to go as a package deal than flight only. I read a survey back last year and only 13% of UK travellers book private so its up to the tour company to make that 13% revert back to package holidays, that way the tour company gets all the profit.

They wil never go with the minority.

If the tour companies were worried about anyone other than themselves they wouldn't be killing the family run business off in resorts around Europe with All Inclusives.

Edited: 05 March 2013, 08:56
Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfares

Yes Kevin, good point but that does not necessarily mean that the other 87% want to book a package deal. Simply the other 87% may want to book privately but find it difficult to do so.

shrewsbury
Level Contributor
178 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfares

Hi Nick, we so hope the tour companies don't price hoteliers out of business in Kalamaki.

You are right with with your comment about independence and flexibility. That's exactly why we love Kalamaki, but have to say the flight prices are just going up and up, and not sure when this will plateau?

A package holiday this year is definitely cheaper than booking independently, purely because of the flight expense!

Don't want things to turn out like other Greek destinations. For example, we tried to book independently for Skiathos in August this year but flights were 600 pounds per person. OMG! We can get to America or Canada for less!

Mentioned in this post
Kalamaki
Kalamaki
Zakynthos, Greece
Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfares

At the end of the day its business. The tour companies want to sell more package holidays than flights as they make more profit from it also then they have the add ons, transfers, inflight meals and tours sold by the reps. If they lowered the price of flights and say more people did book flight only they would make less profit so their not going to lower the prices no matter what the tourist may want.

Allot of tourists like the package holiday as its all sorted in one click of a button instead of having to match flights with room availability and the knowledge that if something goes wrong they have the tour company to fall back on.

I agree, i think it would be great if more people were to book independently to help the hoteliers but the tour companies are in control and thats just the way it is.

Nick thats like me and you lowering our prices cause the customer wants to pay less but then we wouldn't make any profit. We'd all like to pay the minimum price for something but it just doesn't happen that way.

Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Airfares

This is how it should be...there should be flights that will accommodate guests that are in a desire for a package deal and there should be flights for guests that want to come independently, PERIOD.

The bottom line is that we should not be in a situation where we are bullied to accept a certain way just because they are making or not making a profit. Supply and Demand is the only two factors that should come into play here and not monopolistic tactics.