We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Navagio with an infant

Limassol
Level Contributor
91 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Navagio with an infant

Hi I am planning a trip to Zakynthos on July and I would like to visit navagio beach. I was wondering if its doable with an infant 15 months old. I read on a previous topic that there are shorter trips to navagio from porto vromi or St. Nicholas - Skinari. Has anyone done this trip with an infant ?

Mentioned in this post
Zakynthos
Zakynthos
Ionian Islands, Greece
St Nicholas Beach
St Nicholas Beach
347 Reviews
Zakynthos, Greece
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,137 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Navagio with an infant

hi,i know navagio seems gorgeous but it sems to have a couple of drawbacks..i haven't done the trip but from reports here i would reconsider doing it with an infant..there is no shade once you arrive,so that can cause problems..also you need good beach shoes or your feet will hurt..and from the videos i have seen the boat just docks near the beach and the passengers swim-walk to the beach,that's sounds hard carrying an infant...in fact i haven't seen any infant in any of these videos..i guess being stuck in a boat with a crying baby isn't going to be ideal..also sometimes the sea is rough and the trip is cancelled or you don't even get there.

all that said,if the sea is good,you have some good beach shoes,find a way to protect your baby from the sun and someone helps you to carry it from-to the boat i guess you can still enjoy this gorgeous beach..watch a couple of videos of the boats docking in the beach in you tube to get an idea

Edited: 04 February 2014, 13:35
Limassol
Level Contributor
91 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Navagio with an infant

Thanks for your quick reply and the useful info. I will have a look on some videos on youtube.

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,242 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Navagio with an infant

Also be aware that once you're on the beach you're there for about an hour with no facilities at hand and not much to do once you've had a look at the shipwreck. The beach also shelves quite quickly so it's not really suitable for very small children unless you keep hold of them.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Navagio with an infant

I wouldn't attempt it with a young child.

IMO its a vastly over-rated attraction. The beach is very uncomfortable & is not really like the photographs you see everywhere. There is no sand, its very sharp pebbles so you'll definitely need ''beach shoes'' & there is no shade. The wreck is a rusting, graffiti covered hulk. Depending on sea conditions it can be very awkward getting on & off the boats even without an infant. The beach can get very crowded & you could be unfortunate enough to be there at the same time as a ''booze cruise''.

If you really want to experience it I'd advise getting a boat from St Nikolas Port. There are regular trips on much smaller boats from there & the trip is much shorter so that would be more suitable with a child.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
930 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Navagio with an infant

I have to agree with Sylnles here, the description is spot on. With regards to wearing beach shoes, if you use one of the smaller boat trips, your footwear tends to be confiscated when boarding the boat an unavailable to you on arrival at Navagio. The 'sand' is a really fine gravel and is so sharp you could put it on your driveway. We enjoyed our trip there for the general cruise and change of scenery. If it was just about the shipwreck, I really wouldn't bother. I certainly wouldn't fancy doing it with a toddler.

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,242 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Navagio with an infant

It's worth doing once but like others have said, not with a small child.

Cullompton, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Navagio with an infant

Echo all the above; been once, in a small boat from Skinari; they say their smallest boat takes twenty people but they went out with just the four of us on it...

http://www.potamitisbros.gr/en_boat.trips.php

.....boat was fun but the beach is really nothing special close up. Go early to avoid the crowds (and the hottest part of the day) if you really want to see it, but I doubt you'll want to go back.

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Navagio with an infant

If you go be aware the north of the island does get choppy at times we went from zante town large craft but we were swindled they said west coast was too rough to traverse the island the beach is like early post coarse grit but also contains tar so you must beware of the black stuff larger craft your child could remain on board with one of you whilst you take turns investigating the beach keep away from the rocky fringes the dreaded urchins are on patrol

Limassol
Level Contributor
91 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Navagio with an infant

Thanks all for your posts !!!

I guess I will remove the boat trip to navagio from my list and may be see it from the platform.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Navagio with an infant

I echo the above posts.

You could do it but you'd probably find it very stressful and perhaps not worth it in the end.

I did it and the sea was quite rough, and was quite a task to get off the boat onto the shingle beach, alot of people stayed on the boat, and it seemed a very long day in the end. The beach is not a lot to rave about, and the shore line was full with boats so you couldn't even get in the water any way really and it was so hot, pushing 35*C. The only way to get into the sea was off the boat once anchored out at sea and to jump/use ladder! Which i don't mind, but perhaps with a young child not ideal.

I'd recommend doing something like turtle island - have a look into this, heard this is perhaps ideal for families/young children. I've not done this but heard good things about it - Maybe someone can give you some more info on here?

Enjoy your holiday!