We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Bay Hotel ,Vassilikos

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
The Bay Hotel ,Vassilikos

Has anyone been to The Bay Hotel this summer?I believe it has been renovated and is advertised as Chic And Unique in First Choice Grece brochure.

FORRES, SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Bay Hotel ,Vassilikos

Just got back from a week in The Bay Hotel. Lovely settings, clean. Staff at hotel exceptional, friendly, approachable, helpful and speak good english. In the resort of Vassilikos its a bit far from "town life" 20mins by cab to nearest cash point but plenty of shops and excellent watersports. Hotel right on the beach. 5 min walk is St Nicholas beach with even more watersports and scuba diving.

I'd definately reccommend this place.

Minimalist style that doesnt comprimise on comfort. Large airy room with big bathroom, and had a cracking sea view which boast the best sunrise ever!

Essex, England
Level Contributor
126 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Bay Hotel ,Vassilikos

Sounds great. Going 8 Oct with a friend. Did you try out any of the local tavernas and are there any you could recommend?. We are half board but want to sample real Greece. What was the food like in the hotel and was it traditionally greek or international.Was there a good choice of wine etc. We are booked mountain view but sure that will be fine. Did you see any bicycle hire locally cos we fancied giving that a go for a change!! What was the evening entertainment like? expect it may well be very low key. Many thanks 4 any further information you can give us.

FORRES, SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Bay Hotel ,Vassilikos

At night very low key, hotel has an amphetheatre and play movies etc. bike hire nearby, scooters, quads, buggys, cars all cheap and easy to find. taxi's handy usually. food is fine, simple breakfast. plenty local wine available. all tavernas i went to were fine and are of similar standard. i say just go where your feet fancy. i'm planning going to Kalamaki(10km from vasilikos roughly) next year. i love the island. i suggest you get on the Land Rover island discovery, u'll find some interetsing places and the guides(excellent english) will point you in directions of the best places to go for the sights. Visit Zante town (15mins by car) for taste of greek living. its on a small port so you can take boat trips etc. Visit smugglers cove(get boat from zante town). Anything else you want to know? oh yes, try and get on a trip to see the turtles/dolphins around lagans/kalamaki area, best to go on small glass bottomed boat. all these things are easy to do and find. just ask the taxi drivers, hotel staff.

Essex, England
Level Contributor
126 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Bay Hotel ,Vassilikos

Many thanks 4 useful reply. Did you eat half board and if so what was the food like for evening meal? We are travelling with First Choice. Wonder if trips like the jeep island tour are best booked with local firms.Roughly what sort of price is it? Will take enough cash to budget especially as cash machines so far off!! Presume you could have to go into Zante town on own method of transport for best deals. (prob wont hire a car on this occasion.) Cheers

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Bay Hotel ,Vassilikos

Local agents are far cheaper than the tour operator for trips.

FORRES, SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Bay Hotel ,Vassilikos

Evening meal was varied. and tasty. i was half board and with first choice. To goon Jeeps thru first choice was 50euro's each. it lasts a full day so i thought it was well worth it. scuba diving was 55euros for about an hour an a half lesson and dive. a cruise of North of island, around smugglers cove was 39euros. you may well feel earthquake tremors as well. we felt 3 the week we were there! nothing scary tho!

uk
Level Contributor
117 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Bay Hotel ,Vassilikos

are the tavernas within walking distance as we don't like hanging about the hotel every evening. Also does the hotel provide beach towels. I am booked up for September and can't wait. I hope it is as nice as it looks.

FORRES, SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Bay Hotel ,Vassilikos

Tavernas are within walking distance. I'm unsure if hotel gives out beach towells, i had my own so didnt need that. car hire is cheap- 45euros for a small runabout.there's are car hire company next to the hotel. worth it for a look at the island.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Bay Hotel ,Vassilikos

I've just come back from this hotel and what a dive! The owners ran out of money, that's the reason there's a big unfinished building site next door and the finish on the rooms (especially bathrooms) are terrible. The rooms are definetly minimalist, but as for chic - you must be joking! We moved rooms because our room smelt of damp especially the mattress. Our new room didn't smell of damp but it just looked like what I imagine a prison cell to look like... painted grey and nothing on the walls... oh apart from some boards which were painted and then screwed to the wall. Some nights we had to suffice with a single sheet covering the double mattress - which it actually didn't and I ended up sleeping on bare mattress. Also, most of the time we were there on what we expected to be a romantic break, we had only a single sheet each to cover us a night, so it was a hard job to cuddle up and still have something covering you and protecting you from the mosquitos they didn't mention before. As for the food...two hour window for brekki and two hour window for dinner. If you don't mind hard bread uncovered, with flies all over it (flies everywhere actually) then you'll be fine. Fruit from tins... oh apart from one melon and some apples! I felt sorry for the continental guests who would normally have cheese and meats for brekki - this place offerred processed sliced cheese.. you know the plastic stuff?? and processed meats. You could get a sort of enligh breakfast but with mini frankfurter sausages, streaky, mostly uncooked, bacon and beans etc.. Dinner was OK. We spoke to another couple who've stayed in Greece before, not Zante, and they said they were going to sue. Another couple we met a few times didn't like the lack of comfort. It says minimal and they really mean it, not in the stylish sense! The swimming pool area is nice, but hardly any of the umbrellas work. The beech in front is OK, but venture further and it looks like a bomb site... rubbish everywhere, discarded cars and waterskis! This is supposed to be a 4 star hotel, well I've stayed in 4 star and this isn't one. Its more like 2 star. If I paid £150 for the holiday I'd be pleased, but you need to put a 0 at the end of that and it would be nearer the price I paid. We went with first choice... late getting there late getting back... last choice for me in future!

Essex, England
Level Contributor
126 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Bay Hotel ,Vassilikos

Take it you didnt like it then?! Surely the hotel could have let you have more bedding of some description.. Sounds more like 'cheek' and unique.....Seriously though its not very funny. Must admit Im quite worried and very disappointed as going with a friend this Sunday.Weve booked twin room. Mosquities love me! Will have to get a spray and spray the room before going to dinner. ( My husband first tried this method in Corfu last year and it killed the bugs off each night) Breakfasts in Greece usually basic but I have a thing about flies on food. Ugghh..

There seem to be such mixed reviews here, wonder if going downhill towards end of season.?cash running out or something?

Everything looked great on their (own) hotel website and also the First Choice brochure so I wonder if you have a good case for misrepresentation. Did you consider asking to move to another hotel on Zante?(Seems a hassle to have to do especially if there for just one week). I had spoken to my travel agent last week and she said too late to change without losing 50% but that I could speak to our rep out there if needs be.

Please could you answer a couple of questions?

Were there still loads of noisy young kids in the hotel?

Do you know if the hotel is in walking distance of the Calypso Bar in the Porto Roma area please? You may happen to have come across it. I have seen it on a site. Run by Janella and Spiros. They have Greek night with bbq and karaoke another. I love singing.

Thanks.

Get answers to your questions about Zakynthos