We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where's good but not Halkidiki?

Dover UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Where's good but not Halkidiki?

We're looking at Macedonia, probably have to be high season, but beach isn't our priority. Nor is nightlife. Any good villages and/or accommodation? We'd probably be driving from the airport. This seems very vague - so are we at present - please help us out!

Soissons, France
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where's good but not Halkidiki?

many things to see in makedonia : Kavala and Philipi on the east, Veria, Vergina and Kastoria on the west. Also beautiful lakes on the north near albania ...

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where's good but not Halkidiki?

hi.

makedonia region has many beautiful places.

first of all thessaloniki is a big city with several museums, shopping and general all the things a big city can offer.for hotels in thessaloniki there is plenty of choices like makedonia palace, electra palace, holiday inn etc. about an hour's drive from thessaloniki is the town of veria and next to it vergina archeological site with the tombs and palaces of greek macedonian kings. close by is the towns of naoussa and edessa.in edessa there is a beautiful waterfall.in the area there is also the small town of pella with great archeological findings.

to the east from thessaloniki there is the town of kavala with fantastic beaches and a lovely very scenic port in the center of the city.

close by is the archeological site of phillipi.

www.thessalonikicity.gr, www.edessa.gr, www.cityofkavala.gr, www.wineroads.gr, …about.com/od/…Areas_Northern_Greece.htm

Dover UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where's good but not Halkidiki?

Many thanks for your advice - a name or two I knew but many I didn't!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where's good but not Halkidiki?

Wineroads is a fabulous site..thanks for posting Telis:) Would definetely go through it as it also shows places to stay in definetely 'off-the-beaten path' areas in this beautiful mountainous area..Even has a place I found a number years ago in Naoussa called 'Palea Poli'.. read review if interested:) You'll also find this area somewhat 'cooler' in the hotter Summer months..great adventure:) Happy planning and Enjoy!

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where's good but not Halkidiki?

hi litsa.

palea poli is really a wonderful place to stay.i remember a couple of years ago you mentioned it in a post and i went there because of your suggestion!...memories of trip advisor!

by the way!i have a son 9 days old!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where's good but not Halkidiki?

CONGRATULATIONS TELIS...You're a DAD:) How wonderful for you! Now THAT'S a 'New Year' blessing! All the very, very Best to you and your wife, Telis:) ...and yes, that was easily a couple of years ago when I was last up there in Naoussa..Wow.. time flies when you're having fun...Am SURE you're Enjoying!!!!

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where's good but not Halkidiki?

thanks litsa!maybe it was silly of me mentioning it but i'm extremelly happy and wanted to share it with my best trip advisor friend!maybe one day you 'll come and meet him!you are always welcome in thessaloniki!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where's good but not Halkidiki?

I definetely plan to contact you when up there:) ..and oops! too late...I, too, wanted to share your blessings:):) Always Enjoy!

9. Re: Where's good but not Halkidiki?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 23:16