We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Late August early September

Toronto
3 posts
Save Topic
Weather in Late August early September

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are planning a 2 wk trip to Greece the last week of August and the 1st wk of Sept. We plan to be in Northern Greece in Thessaloniki and Florina visiting my husband's family for the first week and in the islands the 2nd week. Some people have told me that after Aug 15 the temperature really drops and that we can expect it to be cold. Does anyone know what the temperature is in Northen Greece in late August? And will we still be able to swim and enjoy some nice hot weather in the islands (Mykonos and Santoroni) that first week in September?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
229 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Late August early September

September is one of the best times to visit Greece, so you should have perfect hot weather. It will probably be cooler in the evenings in northern Greece, so take a couple of light sweaters with you. We were in Kastoria which is near Florina in early July and found the evenings cool, but daytimes were hot. Something to do with the mountains I suppose. Thessaloniki at the same time was hot day and night. The islands will be perfect.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Late August early September

"Some people have told me that after Aug 15 the temperature really drops and that we can expect it to be cold"

Were they perhaps Kalahari bushmen or people from the Sahara?

Its HOT HOT HOT in mid august ..... IIRC last August it was mid to high 40's **in the shade** in parts of Greece and you'll often see people here recommending June or Sep as best times to go as its so hot in July/August.

And you certainly will be able to swim in September, in fact thats probably the peak time for water temperatures. I've swum in mid Oct in the islands, first week of Sep would be peachy :-)

Toronto
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Late August early September

HI Everyone,

I just wanted to again thank you for responding so quickly and for putting my mind at ease. Looks like we're all set to book and am now starting to get more exciting now that I can look forward to gorgeous weather. THANK YOU!!

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Late August early September

hi.

in mykonos and santorini the weather will be just fine not to say hot!

in florina the temperatures are very pleasant-not very hot but definatelly not cold.

enjoy your trip.

5. Re: Weather in Late August early September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 13:20
Get answers to your questions about Florina