We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather at beginning of September?

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Weather at beginning of September?

As I am travelling with a baby I thought that June and August might be too hot (?) - so maybe end of August/beginning of September would be a better choice.

Now I have some questions:

- Which kind of weather will I have to expect at the beginning of September? Will it be still hot enough for sunbathing and swimming in the sea?

- How about the evenings sand nights?

- How about the mosquitos and wasps at that time of the year?

- Or would it be better going there in July or August to be on the safe side concerning the weather?

London
Level Contributor
730 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather at beginning of September?

I would say you should be fine at the start of September, but who knows with the weather nowadays!

It is usually still lovely and hot at that time, with warm evenings and good sea temperature.

I think you would find July or August too hot, especially with a baby. I was there in early July last year and it was high 30s every day.

There are mosquitoes & wasps there but not so many that it interferes with your holiday. We use the repellent plugs that you plug-in in your room overnight and they seem to work pretty well - you can buy them cheaply in the supermarkets out there.

I am going early Sept (as well as July) so fingers crossed for good weather...!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather at beginning of September?

July or August would be safer weather wise, but they would also be hotter. We always holiday at the end of August, beginning of September and would love to go to Halkidiki but find the weather too changeable at that time of year, so we've stopped going now. Last time we were there we had 50% sunshine, 40% clouds and 10% rain, some evenings were warm and pleasant and others a little nippy. I guess it depends on how much sun you want to get and if cloudy days would spoil your holiday. I like guaranteed sunshine, so Halkidiki isn't for me at that time of year.

We didn't have any problems with wasps, but there were plenty of mossies around. We used anti-mossie tablets in the room at night and after sun with mossie repellent, and were fine.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather at beginning of September?

hi.

definatelly to be certain july or august is the least rainy months but of course these are the hottest months of the year!usually end of august beggining of september -but the very beggining-the weather still stands for swimming and sunbathing and the temperatures are o.k.

4. Re: Weather at beginning of September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2009, 06:20