We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with children in Halkidiki area?

Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What to do with children in Halkidiki area?

We are going to Afitos 5 July-2011 and are staying 12 days. We are 2 adults and 2 children( 4 and 7 years old). Do anyone have any good suggestion of what we can do to suit the children and us, in the area(except pool)? Maybe we will rent a car. Any suggestion will be nice.

Thank you very much!

Kjetil Almvik, Norway

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with children in Halkidiki area?

in halkidiki apart from beach holidays there is not much to do.

you can rent a car so you can visit great beaches-practically everywhere in halkidiki the beaches are nice.

you can do day-trip to thessaloniki to visit a couple of museums or for shopping it is about an hour's drive maybe a bit more from afitos.

in halkidiki area there is the petraleonon cave which is a prehistorical area -you can check in your hotel the driving directions and opening hours.

Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with children in Halkidiki area?

Hello Telis

Thank you for your replay. We will enjoy the nice beaches and i guess we will rent a car to se the sorroundings. BR Kjetil Almvik, Norway

Level Contributor
829 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with children in Halkidiki area?

Hi there,

except from the beaches around Halkidiki, and also a day or two at Thessaloniki's museums, shopping at the city center and also a day at the Petralona Cave, there are other nice things to do as well.

You could get a boat from Kalithea and/or Polychrono , that takes you to the Sithonia peninsula, and specifically at Marmaras. The kids will probably like this a lot, but if you are scared to take a boat trip, you could always drive there and maybe explore the mountain of Sithonia, Mt. Dragoudelis, which is a mountain that is protected from the Natura Treaty, therefore you'll be able to explore the rich fauna and flaura of the area. Furthermore, there are around 7-8 signed hiking/walking/cycling routes that give you the opportunity to see amazingly beautiful scenery at Sithonia. A visit at the traditional settlement of Parthenonas (5km from Neos Marmaras) will also make you feel very beautiful, due to the amazing view that it offers to the Toroneos Gulf.

Despite spending a day at Sithonia, you could also take a boat trip from Ormos Panagias to the Holy Mt.Athos. You will be able to see beautiful monasteris of Mt.Athos from the boat, plus you'll be able to swim around the Gulf, which is very very beautiful.

One last suggestion that I could offer to you, is maybe you could spend also a day at the continental north Halkidiki. Taxiarhis village and Arnea are two very beautiful traditional settlements, that give the visitor the opportunity to admire the famous Macedonia architecture of the buildings. Moreover, those two towns are situated at the foothills of a really beautiful mountain, called Holomontas, where you could also have beautiful walks among the forest.

Just a few more interesting ideas, other than the beaches at Halkidiki, because Halkidiki is definitely not just a place to stay at the sun. It has lots of different places to see, and things to do, as far as you are informed well about them.

Oh, a very nice town which is also situated on the third peninsula, Ouranoupolis, is also worth paying a visit, and you could also get a boat from there and visit the only inhabited island of Halkidiki, Amouliani. The island also has amazing beaches and a nice friendly-island atmosphere.

I am sure, that I could write a dozen more things to do at Halkidiki, but I believe that all these should be ok for now.

Enjoy your holidays,

Best regards,

Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with children in Halkidiki area?

Hello Yannis

This was realy good! We like to se more than beaches when we travel, and this information helps us a lot. We have rented a car so we will be able to drive to the places you mention. We leave tomorrow from Norway and looking forward to visiting your country.

Thank you again!

Best regards, Kjetil Almvik, Norway

Maccagno, Italy
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with children in Halkidiki area?

I was in the Sithonia peninsula last summer with my 3 children aged 7,4 and 1 and we had a wonderful time. We rented a car and were driving all around Halkidiki. The children loved the beaches near Karidi (Vourvourou) and the water park near Thessaloniki www.waterland.gr

Have a great time! We are probably going back to Halkidiki at the end of August :-)

6. Re: What to do with children in Halkidiki area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 11:18
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question