We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire from Thessaloniki airport

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
60 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire from Thessaloniki airport

Hello everyone!

My boyfriend and I are planning to go to Halkidiki for 2 weeks and want to rent a car for the whole 2 weeks, because we have seen that public transport is almost non-existing there. All the prices we have seen are too high, though: about 60 Euros per day for full kasko :S Does anyone of you know anything cheaper?

Thanks a lot!

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
15,260 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire from Thessaloniki airport

Try Potos Car Hire for a quote. We used them a few years ago from Thessaloniki to tour Halkidiki & also took the car across to Thasos. They were very friendly, helpful & reasonably priced when we used them & having permission for ferry travel was a bonus.

http://www.rentacarpotos.gr/

London, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire from Thessaloniki airport

We would recommend Kriopigi Car Hire who have been really helpful so far. Like you, we're picking up a car at the airport for two weeks. The cost is around 430 Euros & the insurance coverage seems to be pretty good - that's including full CDW & under-car insurance & is for what they call an Intermediate car - something like a VW Polo or Vauxhall Corsa. Unlimited mileage & an additional driver is included.

They've been really friendly & communicative so far: www.kriopigicars.net

Hope you have a fantastic time out there.

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
836 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire from Thessaloniki airport

There are so so many car rental agencies around, however I 've heard incidents lately from some visitors, that couple of the agencies eventually tried to charge them for a bit more. They have rented the car through the internet, where they promoted as a full coverage, however, they tried to make a little more money later.

This is outrageous and I feel disappointed by them. That is why one should be very very carefull regarding the car rental out there.

I'll check for a few agencies in Halkidiki, that I have good experience with, and will send you a PM to contact them if you want.

Best Regards,

Yiannis

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
15,260 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire from Thessaloniki airport

Good advice there! Ever since we had a small problem with a car rented through an online broker we have dealt direct with local companies, whether on the mainland or islands. You get better personal service, prices without those sneaky little extras when you arrive & a real person to talk to/email if you have any queries or problems arising. We also get EXACTLY the model of car we ask for not a "similar to the one on the website". It is also better for the local companies if we all make the effort to use local recommendations - all the money then goes into local pockets & is not creamed off by anonymous brokers.

The other thing we do now is take out an annual "Hire Care Insurance Excess Policy" in the UK - covers us for hire cars in Europe for around £45 for a full year & is much cheaper than paying the "extra" insurance that is often pushed at you when you pick up a hire car. It even covers glass, mirrors, lost keys & underside & our personal items as long as they are locked in the boot or concealed in the glove box etc.

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
836 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire from Thessaloniki airport

Dear "tsipouro" , you second paragraph is marvellous regarding information on insurance and thank you for sharing it with us. And also a fantastic way of viewing the everyday life in Greece (or any country)!

It is indeed a lot better when the money does end up in local pockets, keeping in mind the situation around Greece in the last 2-3 years.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
60 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire from Thessaloniki airport

We are also looking for local companies, not the usual Europecar, Hertz, and so on. Last year we had a great experience with a fantastic local car rental in Kefalonia, Greekstones, which I can highly recommend to anyone!

Jmal27, if you have any contacts, please post them here! Thank you!

7. Re: Car hire from Thessaloniki airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 15:13
Klang
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire from Thessaloniki airport

Hi, I understood that you used Kriopigi Car rental for your time in Halkidiki, was there any hidden cost or did they try to upsell anything?

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
60 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire from Thessaloniki airport

Yes, I used Kriopigi Car Rental and there were absolutely no hidden costs. You can trust them!

Klang
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire from Thessaloniki airport

Thank you so much for your feedback. Which car did you get and how was the fuel consumption? I'm trying to see if I can get a Prius so that I can save abit on Gas. How are the roads there and is it easy to get around from Town to Town? I'm quite excited at the prospect of going on a holiday and just driving where my heart takes me haha.