We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chalkidiki - somewhere very small on the beach

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Chalkidiki - somewhere very small on the beach

We are coming to Thessaloniki in June 2014 and are staying there for three days. We then want to get a bus/train/coach/ferry to somewhere very, very small with maybe three or four tavernas, a mini market or two, right on the beach.

As an example, last year we went to Kini on Syros island and that is the sort of place we love to visit. Nothing to do except eat, swim, sunbathe and have some lovely evening sun so south facing is best.

Any ideas welcome - we are prepared to spend a day travelling from and to Thessaloniki to be as flexible as possible as to where to go.

Thanks very much in advance.

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
785 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chalkidiki - somewhere very small on the beach

Hi there.

I am struggling to find such a place in Halkidiki as you mention.... a place that will be next to the water with couple of tavernas and a mini market does not exist as far as I know Halkidiki. Such a place the way you describe it , is my village, however it's not situated on the water. The village is called Parthenonas, but is 5km away from the water. It is however a traditional settlement, with two tavernas , a cafe, and a cute souvenir shop, as well as 3 Guest Houses. Built only with stone houses and paves, next to the nature, offering amazing views to the sea, but again it's a ten minutes drive to the sea. If this is not a problem for you, and you have a car rental as an option, then this sounds ideal for you.

However, if you want your place to be next to the sea absolutely, what you can do is look up into small villages of Sithonia, such as Porto Koufo for example or Vourvourou and try to find accommodation in the "suburbs". Neos Marmaras and Nikiti are larger towns, however you will find beautiful accommodation outside of the crowds.

All the above places that I mentioned are couple of hours away from Thessaloniki's Airport, by bus.

How many days would you plan staying at Halkidiki, and what would be the ideal budget per night for you?

Regards,

Yiannis

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chalkidiki - somewhere very small on the beach

Dear Yiannis

Thank you for helpful thoughts.

Your village sounds very nice, but we do not really wish to hire a car. Is there a bus that goes to the sea, or how much would a taxi cost?

We are planning to stay for nine or ten days and would require a studio with fridge, kettle, bathroom and balcony/or outside sitting area.. Our budget is usually around E25-30 a night. We are not wanting luxury, but a double bed is nice for us as it is our anniversary in June.

Kind regards

Sue

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
785 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chalkidiki - somewhere very small on the beach

Hi there again.

Unfortunately there is not a bus that runs from Parthenonas to Neos Marmaras daily. There are a few taxis from Neos Marmaras, but I think it would not be that convenient to get a taxi twice per day for this, as it is around 5 Euro I think (one way). Let alone that the room rates around Parthenonas are nowhere less than 50-55 Euro per night.

How about you give a look at Nikiti or Neos Marmaras area, as there are many studios around the villages that are very quite, and at a walking distance from the village so that you have the possibility of buying a few things daily. Fantasia Studios and Appartments, just outside Neos Marmaras comes in mind. I've been there couple of times and know the place. You may give it a look and see if this is what you had in mind more or less.

4. Re: Chalkidiki - somewhere very small on the beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 05:17