We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

laid back

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
121 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
laid back

Hi, not been to Halkidiki before is there anywhere similar to Stoupa, Parga or Koukanaris with that small but friendly atmosphere on the island. Or can anyone suggest somewhere similar elsewhere in Greece. Got to be able to get there from Manchester Airport.. Thanks for any information.

Mentioned in this post
Halkidiki Region
Halkidiki Region
Central Macedonia, Greece
Stoupa
Stoupa
Messenia Region, Greece
Parga
Parga
Preveza Region, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
839 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: laid back

Halkidiki is pretty wide area with three peninsulas that each one I would say has different and unique characteristics. The middle peninsula (Sithonia) and the third one (Mt. Athos peninsula) are the more laid back ones I would say. However, as there are more towns and villages in Sithonia, the choices of places to visit, things to do and see, places to stay and dine or have a drink are a lot more in comparison to Mt.Athos peninsula.

Check out the flights from Manchester to SKG (Thessaloniki) which is the nearest airport and see what results you get. Once you find that there are indeed flights, come back to the thread and we'll be able to suggest according to your preferences.

Regards,

Yiannis.

Mentioned in this post
Halkidiki Region
Halkidiki Region
Central Macedonia, Greece
Sithonia
Sithonia
Halkidiki Region, Greece
Mt. Athos Peninsula
Mt. Athos Peninsula
Halkidiki Region, Greece
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki Region, Greece
Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: laid back

Jmal27 I am very surprised to read your answer because I'm not aware that any part of the Mt. Athos peninsula is open to casual visitors. As far as I'm aware only males are allowed to visit, no women, and it is necessary to obtain a permit in advance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Athos

Mentioned in this post
Mt. Athos Peninsula
Mt. Athos Peninsula
Halkidiki Region, Greece
Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
839 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: laid back

When we refer to Mt.Athos peninsula we also include a number of villages which are of course outside of the "boundaries" of the monasteries area,however they still belong geographically at the are "Upper Mt.Athos area", and the Mt.Athos peninsula!

These towns/villages are for example: Ouranoupolis,Ierissos,Nea Roda,Olympiada etc

By saying Mt.Athos peninsula,we dont of course mean the monasteries area. However both from Ouranoupolis and from Sithonia,you can get a cruise to see the monasteries from a distance.

Mentioned in this post
Mt. Athos Peninsula
Mt. Athos Peninsula
Halkidiki Region, Greece
Ouranoupolis
Ouranoupolis
Mt. Athos Peninsula, Greece
Ierissos
Ierissos
Halkidiki Region, Greece
Nea Roda
Nea Roda
Mt. Athos Peninsula, Greece
Sithonia
Sithonia
Halkidiki Region, Greece
West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
121 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: laid back

Thanks for the information.

5. Re: laid back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Halkidiki Region