We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire

Manchester
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire

Hi guys and girls.

We are travelling to thessaloniki and staying for 2 weeks but need car hire for the full duration,

I have looked at kriopigi car, potos cars, and Poseidon cars rental.

Poseidon have come out the cheapest but I can only find one review for them

Any one had any experiance with them?

Thanks in advance

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
769 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire

As far as I hear and know myself, all of them are fine. I've had and have co-operation with some of them and haven't had any issues up to now. There are many car rental companies around the area of Thessaloniki to look from. What kind of car would you have in mind and would you need it for the whole two weeks?

If you need any further help or suggestion about car rental offices, I'll be happy to help if possible.

Regards,

Giannis

Manchester
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire

Thanks for the help jmal27, yes we would need the car for the full 2 weeks and the cheapest car. we dont need anything to big as there is only 2 of us travelling.

We also need to make sure the company we choose allows us on a ferry with the car as we are travelling to thassos for a week and then onto sithonia for the second week and we also like to explore and see the local town and villages.

Do you know what car hire companies are situated in the airport itself?

Thanks again

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
769 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire

Avis is situated on the airport for sure, I've contacted them a few times and they provided good services . Budget car rental is also next to the airport exactly. Do not worry though about this, as I am sure that any company would bring a car anywhere you want to, let alone the airport!

Regarding the ferry, I would personally advise you to pay a bit extra for the full insurance they offer to you, as I think it covers pretty much everything. ALWAYS make sure before you sign that it covers the case you're referring to, and have it somewhere written and signed!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,240 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire

Potos Car hire will definitely let you take their cars on a ferry as they have main offices on Thasos. We have used them several years ago from Thessaloniki airport & they get good feedback. Do check carefully with other companies regarding ferry trravel as some do not allow this & you can end up uninsured if you use a ferry without permission.

What appears cheapest is not always best value BTW - read the small print for hidden extras!

England
Level Contributor
503 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire

"What appears cheapest is not always best value BTW - read the small print for hidden extras!".....This is good advice from tsipouro. For our up coming visit to Pelion I have been getting quotes from various car rental companies AND checking the small print regarding the various extras to cover and/or limit excess on damage, theft, 3rd parties etc. As a example, one original quote for 11 days came back at £320, but once I added Wheel/glass cover, FDW, theft etc the cost went up to £460!!

BTW, in all the years hiring cars in Greece we have never had any problems (well serious), I just check the small print.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,240 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire

Mulch - are you hiring from Athens airport? We have a regular local companywe use now who are excellent. And we avoid nasty surprises wherever we go by taking out a Car Hire Excess policy in the UK which for around £45 per annum covers any claim much cheaper than the "add-on" waivers added by many hire companies. It also covers your personal possessions in the car - handy when you are touring - as long as they are locked in the boot etc, & lost keys. We never had a claim yet but have read of people who have done so & had no problems. Much easier to sort out a policy claim back home than dispute over damage at a distance in a different language!

Not only do we share taste in Greek places but also an urge to read the small print!

Edited: 15 May 2014, 17:15
England
Level Contributor
503 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire

Hi tsipouro, in the end we have decided to do a package holiday to the Pelion and therefore fly into Volos. I have ended up arranging the car through 'economy car hire' having had various quotes from local companies which have been....err, expensive as stated above. We have used ECH a few times and touch wood had no problems, yes I know they are a broker so fingers crossed again.

We do have a separate Car Hire Excess Policy, this is due to traveling to Iceland over the last few years where the excess on hire cars is astronomical!

BTW, we intend to take off for a few days further North and I recall you singing the praises of an interesting area discovered behind the Olympos range......any suggestions would be gratefully received ;-)

Parga, Greece
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire

The recommendation to use a car excess policy is extremely good. I was made aware of this when reading the MSE website and they highlighted an article in the Guardian about car hire rental scams - this was in 2006 and I've been using this insurance until this year when I bought a car in Greece and don't need the policy. Throughout this period I've been using the same company, the one originally recommended. The current cost is £39.99 and this can be recouped in maybe four days worth of extra insurance charges when purchased from the rental firm.

http://www.insurance4carhire.com/

theguardian.com/money/…moneysupplement4

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,240 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire

We use this company

http://www.questor-insurance.co.uk/

they always offer us a small discount each time we renew so it's usually around £40, although the age of my OH might now increase it a little.

Mulch - have sent you a PM.

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire

Just to add to Connysir's post, I have just taken out a policy with insurance4carhire and got 20% off their premium, due to my AA membership, just by booking through the AA, worth checking.