We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To book or not to book ?

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
To book or not to book ?

I have rented a car in Thessaloniki (after having visited the city) from Monday 22 September until the following Saturday. My plan is to drive around the Halkidiki region stopping where and when things look appealing. So far I haven't booked any accommodation and was hoping just to turn up and hope. Is this realistic for my dates or are many places still likely to be busy? Any comments for or against are welcome. Thanks.

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
800 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To book or not to book ?

Hi there!

Your plan/little adventure does sound very nice indeed!! I would personally like to book for some days,to have some base at least and see how it goes.After all, Halkidiki is not that huge (not small either,but you can drive around a lot during a day!) and having a "base" will give you the opportunity both to go around as much as you like,but also be sure that you will always sleep somewhere nice that you have chosen!!

However, in case you insist to go from place to place every day, I dont think you will have a problem finding some nice places around, always according to how selective you want to be of course!

Glad to help with any other questions you might have!

Regards,

Giannis

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
800 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To book or not to book ?

Also I should also inform you that I would suggest Sithonia if you eventually choose a place as a base and then drive around,since its the middle peninsula, and gives you the opportunity to drive both to Kassandra and Mt.Athos peninsula (as well as mainland Halkidiki) easier!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To book or not to book ?

Hey and welcome tradeform:-) I think you have an excellent plan:-) With a rental, you have all the freedom and flexibility to drive around.. and you'll easily find lots of places to stay when you plan to travel;-) Have done similar with friends from Salonika end August.. although they knew where we were going:-) Head out.. and EnJOY!

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To book or not to book ?

Thanks for your help & suggestions. I'll take the risk of not reserving. That way should the weather play any tricks I can always move somewhere where a non-weather activity can be done.

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
800 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To book or not to book ?

I am sure that everything will turn out great and you'll have a wonderfull time no matter what! Let us know how it went if you want.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To book or not to book ?

Our pleasure:-) Sounds like a plan.. and totally agree.. you'll have a fabulous time:-) Trust you'll come back and let us know how it went?;-) Keep us posted.. keep Enjoyin'!

7. Re: To book or not to book ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Halkidiki Region
Recent Conversations