We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cultural sights/daytrips around Halkidiki/Kassandra?

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
35 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Cultural sights/daytrips around Halkidiki/Kassandra?

Thinking of booking a trip to a Halkidiki beach resort. My question--we've never been in this area before... will we be able to do some short day trips to local historical sights?

At some large hotels, there are daytour operators who have representatives right in the hotel. Does anyone know whether this might be the case at Club Calimera Simantro Beach?

Thanks, Tripadvisors!

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
806 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cultural sights/daytrips around Halkidiki/Kassandra?

Hello there!

I wouldn't be able to advise you exactly for Simantro hotel, but overall, and regarding the period that you are visiting Halkidiki, I would say that the possibility of visiting attractions and historical sites is very good.

If I were you, I would try to choose a place, where the distances would be minimised, in order for you to go around Halkidiki. So, Sithonia would be an "easier" place to do so. On the one hand, yes my relation to Sithonia is indeed better, BUT on the other hand, at this part of my reply, I am talking mostly for the distance and nothing else. As far as sites are concerned, you'd be able to visit the Petralona Caves, which is indeed closer to the Kassandra peninsula, but would also be able to visit other sites and attractions closer to Sithonia.

Those could be first and foremost Mount Athos with all the amazingly beautiful monasteries. Furthermore, a day trip to Ouranoupolis would be great, and you'd get the chance to visit the tower of the city which has been turned into a museum and it's really b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l !!! You'd be able to combine this day with a short cruise to Amouliani, the only inhabited island of Halkidiki, with the very beautiful beaches. It's only a 20-25 minutes cruise from the mainland.

If staying at Sithonia, you'are also able to check the only "traditional settlement " of the peninsula, the village of Parthenonas, which has kept its traditional (local stone and wood) architecture. This makes the village unique, combining it with the amazing view that offers to its visitor, due to its altitude. You would be able also to combine a day or some hours at the beautiful mountain of Dragoudelis, at the footsteps of which, Parthenonas village is situated. This mountain is protected by the "Natura Treaty", due to its wildlife and to its flaura. So, a tour on this mountain is just wonderfull.

These are few things that you could do at Halkidiki, things that would fill your holiday program with pleasanta memories.

I 'd be able to tell you more things once you're ready to go :-)

Let me know if you need any further help organising your trip.

I'd be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Yannis.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
106 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cultural sights/daytrips around Halkidiki/Kassandra?

Hi, I have also just been looking into sightseeing trips for our visit to Kassandra this summer. I am not familiar with the hotel you mentioned, but we are travelling with the Thomson TUI holiday group and they plan day trips from their hotels. You can find details of these trips by looking on the Thomson UK website and clicking on 'Excursions'. If you stay near a town, there may be trips offered by local independant operators too.

3. Re: Cultural sights/daytrips around Halkidiki/Kassandra?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2013, 22:15
Get answers to your questions about Kassandra
Recent Conversations