We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

neos marmaras area help

australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
neos marmaras area help

Hi there

i was originally looking into kassandra for our trip to halkidiki but my cousin raves about neos marmaras and sai the area has some amazing beaches, also its where all the greeks go. We are greeks ourselves and ill be travelling with my mum and 18th month old daughter in august. Would love anyones help on suggestions of where to stay. Lagomandra seems to be one hotel i have found. i am looking for something within easy reach of the shops and taverns. we would rather not have to hire a car,but if we really need to then we will. also can anyone suggest how to get from thessaloniki airport to these areas?

thanks

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
765 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: neos marmaras area help

Lagomandra Hotel is a nice place, with a nice beach, but far from Neos Marmaras and the shops, and when I say far, I mean not in a walking distance. The taxi is charging around 10 Euro for this ride, but like I told you earlier, I do recommend you hire a car.

It's such a pity to stay only at one place in Sithonia, while you have the chance to drive all around Sithonia and see some of the most amazing beaches ever.

Regards,

Yannis.

Veroia, Greece
Level Contributor
103 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: neos marmaras area help

Dear natski81,

thanks for your answer at previous post. Sithonia is indeed a very nice place to go on holiday since it is not as crowded as Kassandra and you can enjoy all the green that hugs the blue sea. Driving around SIthonia will lift your spirit and enhance your love for nature. This is why I agree with jmal27 on the "renting a car" issue. All the best beaches in SIthonia are there to be explored by you and you will need a car to do that. Also, I used to work at Lagomandra hotel (many years ago but still...). It is a nice hotel but a bit secluded, with only a few more similar type hotels in that area. it is far from Neos Marmaras or Nikiti, situated inbetween these two villages, and you will need transportation to go at either direction. Our customers at Lagomandra were the type of families or couples that would stick around all day, go to the beach or the pool, eat at the restaurant and enjoy a drink by the bar at night. Then, their travel company would arrange a trip to Thessaloniki and that was all. Also, Lagomandra Hotel used to be built on the wrong side of the road, that is you had to cross a very busy road and walk down to the beach quite some distance, which was a hassle, especially when you come back stroken by the sun. However, they seem to have built a bridge to avoid the traffic and they operate another hotel, used to be called Alexandra Beach, but now it is called Lagomandra Golden Beach. Have a look at the map here to make sure you book the most convenient hotel to you. http://www.lagomandra.gr/E5CC2DD2.el.aspx

If you decide to go in Neos Marmaras, you can rent an apartment or a BB and go to the taverns for lunch or dinner. Here are some suggestions I have found on the family hotel owners association. neosmarmaras.org/familyhotels/index.php…

Also, how many days are you staying? Maybe you should also visit the other two legs for a day trip, it is about 50 minutes drive from one leg to the other and there are different things to expect from each place. Also, the camping places on the other side of the same leg have the most exotic beaches, so maybe you would like to pay a visit there for the day. Or take the small ships that give you tours around mount Athos and the monasteries (view from the ship only unfortunately, esp. for women who are not allowed to go in).

If you are staying for over a week, may I suggest you visit Vergina and its museum, which will fascinate you. It is about one hour from Thessaloniki airport, so on your way back, maybe you can arrange to pay a visit to Alexander the Great and his father Philip II, it is worth the drive.

Any more advice needed, please do not hesitate to ask.

Take care

kosmelen

Edited: 28 January 2010, 13:53
australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: neos marmaras area help

thank you kosmolen for all that information.we will only have around 5 nights and intend to hire a car once we are in neos marmaras, but probably wont be able to drive around to al the other legs. i will have my 18 month old which i think will not want to sit in a car too long.we do intend to hire a har and drive to a few different beaches. what exactly in nikitas? is it a village and where is it situated??

i have gone off lagomandra mainly because of the issue that is to isolated, and thats not what we are after. we would rather be close to town.i have looked into the porta carras resort a bit, the prices seem pretty reasonable- around 119 euro a night, seeing as we are heading up after the 26th of august.and they seem to have a boat to take you into town

can you guys recommend any other bb or apartments/studios in neos marmaras and i will look into them?main priority is air conditioning, clean. also in neos marmaras what is the beach actually like? the one out the front of the porto carras resort area looks beautiful. one suggestion i got is house korali. any other suggestions woul be great. its probably asking too much to have a pool as well. i know that its silly when you have beautiful beaches, but i was in rhodes in 2006 and got some horrible rash from some reaction i had to some algae in the water there, so swam in pools most of the time, and would just like that back up again in case my daughter gets sensitive

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
765 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: neos marmaras area help

Hi natski81,

regarding the beaches at Neos Marmaras, one of them is called "Paradeisos" , which actually mean paradise! It's a family beach, not too crowded, not too organised regarding umbrellas etc, but with couple of nice cafes to get a drink or something. The waters are not deep either.

The other beach which is situated at the other side of Neos Marmaras, we the locals call it "Banieres" because once you go into the water, it has the shape of a bath tub, getting a little deep in the beginning, and then shallow once you go further inside. This one is more crowded, with plenty of choice regarding beach bars, tavernas, cafes , umbrellas to rent etc.

The other beach goes on after the "Banieres" beach and is situated at the Porto Carras coplex. Nice, clean, organised, not too crowded. The Porto Carras Marina "cuts" this beach in the middle, and from the other side of it, you'll find the "Kohi" beach, which is personally one of my favorites. It's also part of the Porto Carras complex, but anyone can visit the beach. It's very very clean, with a great view towards Neos Marmaras, chill out music for the early hours, a little bit louder later on in the afternoon/evening, great coffee, BUT a little bit expensive on the umbrella/sunbed renting.

These are the main beaches which are at Neos Marmaras. Now, since you'll have a car, in a 5-10-15-20 minute driving distance, you'll be able to find at least 20-25 more beaches of exceptional beauty! Both organised and non-organised ones!

Regarding the places to stay at Neos Marmaras, I wouldn't personally recommend the center of the town, as it usually gets crowded, and noisy some times, but a little bit further out of the center. The are of Paradeisos, where the nice beach is situated as well, has many B&B's, and I'll look into that one of the next days, and give you my personal opinion as well, as I know if not all, most of them!

Have a good day,

Yannis.

australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: neos marmaras area help

fantastic yiannis you guys are so helpful.is kohi beach the one i have seen in a few pictures that looks like it has giant white boulders all oaround?Ok im glad you said town is a bit noisy.let me know what you think. Ill keep porto carras in mind, i know its a big hotel chain resort type place/not very greek but im thinking it will have everything we need for the little one. cheers

London
Level Contributor
762 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: neos marmaras area help

Hi natski81

Porto Carras is a beautiful place to stay in my opinion and although it is, as you say a resort type place, it feels very open as it is surrounded by the lovely country side. It also has the harbour and several restaurants and shops within the grounds. The beach is very nice, although it is not sand, but a very fine single. A very short walk along the beach takes you into Neos Marmaris so it's an ideal place to stay and visit the town from.

australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: neos marmaras area help

hi again guys

just wanted to see about getting down to neos marmaras from thesaloniki airport and what would be the best way in your opinion. i see you can hire private cars for around 100 euro one way. we will be flying in around midday and will be with my 18 month old. How long does the local bus take? is it beter to book a private car online or when we get there? does it work out cheaper once in thesaloniki? one other option is staying overnight in thesaloniki and getting up the next morning. what do you think we should do?someone told me the local bus takes man hours because it stops along the way. we dont want to drive we would rather hire a car when we get there

Veroia, Greece
Level Contributor
103 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: neos marmaras area help

Dear natski91,

taking the bus is the cheapest option, because it will cost you about 10-15 euros each. However, you will have to take a taxi or another bus to get to the Halkidiki bus station. Also, going there by bus should be no more than 1 & 1/2 hours, but it may take you longer by bus, I expect no more than 40 minutes. Reading posts about another hotel in Sithonia, (check out the Oceania Club posts on this forum -i.e. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189466-i865-k2768067-Oceania_club-Halkidiki_Macedonia_Region.html), taxi drivers have offered to take customers there for about 50 euros one way. maybe you can contact them through tripadvisor with a private message.

In my opinion, I would do that so I don't have to get on and off busses along with my suitcases and my baby.

Good luck

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
765 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: neos marmaras area help

No no no! Absolutely no!! Do not be mistaken Kosmelen! Oceania Hotel is very far away from Neos Marmaras. There is no way a taxi driver will drive you to Neos Marmaras, with less than 80 Euro (one way of course). I have tried that last year myself and I know. Plus I am from Neos Marmaras, and I get in touch with such cases very often.

I would personally suggest you get a taxi straight ahead to Neos Marmaras. I would be happy to check it out for your Natski, and get some good deals if possible. The bus is indeed way cheaper, but I am not sure how comfortable the baby will be.

If budget is not a problem, then I do suggest you arrange a taxi ride and get to Neos Marmaras in an hour and a half.

Regards,

Yannis.

Veroia, Greece
Level Contributor
103 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: neos marmaras area help

Dear Yiannis,

I meant check out the Oceania forum only for taxi information because it is located in Sithonia. Didn't mean for the taxi to drive them to Oceania Club and leave them there! I read on the Oceania posts about taxi rides for 50 euros, so I would add a little bit extra for Marmaras. 80 euros sounds a bit too much for me, but I guess you know better.

Take care

Kosmelen

Get answers to your questions about Sithonia
Recent Conversations