We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

security for women?

peru
14 posts
Save Topic
security for women?

hi

its says in health ans security that women are harassed in this city?

is it in your face, dangerous harrasement? like you cant go out by yourself?

(if you are a girl)

thank you

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: security for women?

!

I am afraid you have read really wrong info somewhere :)

I would sincerely like to read the link that gave you such an info. In Thessaloniki and in Greece in general, women do enjoy a quite liberal style of life.

S*&ual harrasement does not belong either to our style of life or mentality in general.

Mentioned in this post
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki Region, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: security for women?

do they? what city are you referring to?

Sounds very weird to me! I mean you won't get harassed in Thessaloniki any more or any less than any other major European city...

where did you read that?

Mentioned in this post
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
436 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: security for women?

It seems that this "health ans security" is kind of joke. Or malevolent effort.

peru
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: security for women?

its says so in the "health and security" thats why I wanted to ask.

I dont mean to be disrespectful to any one in greece or thesalonniki I just want to make sure I got the right information.

thanks

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: security for women?

ahahahaha....funny stories about one of the safest cities of Europe.....woods29...girls in Greece are so free and spend so many of their time alone or in groups during nightlife....that i read this post in a way 'WHAT???????'

Is she talking about the same place??

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: security for women?

of corse is not right......no offence...i just heard these,like a fake coming out from a fake...thats all...dont have any concern....especially Macedonia region has so friendly,welcoming and kind people that i can say is by far one of the most welcoming and friendliest parts of Greece.....

Mentioned in this post
peru
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: security for women?

thank you everybody for the good responses, like I said I didnt mean to disrepect anyone I just want to make sure I get the right information.

Also someone should change the "health and security" thing.

thanks!!!!!

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: security for women?

What "health and security thing" - and where is it?

Bucharest
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: security for women?

I travelled extensively around Greece as a single woman; the only bad thing that happened to me was that I was to much charged by taxi drivers late in the night in Athens but I think that this may happen to any tourist. Of course, the big cities as Tessaloniki and Athens have also places not recommended (Omonia after 1 am in the night), and it is common sense not to go in a non-illuminated and desert place late in the night. Excepting this, I think Greece is one of the safest countries to visit.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Athens
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: security for women?

I would only like to add that Thessaloniki is a "University" city, and there are hundreds of young people from all over the country, or bordering countries, who have come alone to study. Obviously almost half of them are young women who don't hesitate to have fun and walk around.

As perfectly said above, just use your common sense and you definately avoid the dodgy areas.

But PLEASE, please let us know about this link, with such a nonsensical content.

I'm just curious to find out who's writting such things without any doupt and what's the purpose to terrorise young people in such a fake way.

Please, drive away all your concerns and visit this city..... noone of us would ever try to mislead you,

we understand this is a very serious issue and shouldn't play with it.

Mentioned in this post
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki