We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family with young children, what to do

London, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Family with young children, what to do

Hello,

We're considering having a two day break in the city after a few weeks on the beach (Fri&Sat). Our children are very young, 3 and 5 so our plans will be very basic but what are the must dos in Thessaloniki?

We think perhaps a quick trip to the museum and a walk around a shopping area with a few meals out. As you can see we're not ambitious and do not want to do too much! We are also considering the Hyatt hotel for it's nice pool area.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
224 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family with young children, what to do

Yes Hyatt has indeed a nice pool area but keep in mind that is not inside the city. Do you have a car? If you don't you'll have to use taxis or maybe Hyatt can arrange transportation with minivans or something.

Thinking of your children you maybe interested in:

NOESIS

A technology/science museum with virtual reality halls, planetarium etc.

www.tmth.edu.gr

( currently the english version is not working but you can get an idea and also download a pdf )

WATERLAND

www.waterland.gr

MAGICPARK

An amusement park

www.magicpark.gr

( sorry! again no english version )

Right next to MP is Mediterranean Cosmos a shopping mall accessible by kids and plenty of places to eat or drink a coffee (indoors and outdoors).

Now inside the city you can go to:

Archaeological Museum and Museum of Byzantine Culture are in the center of the city and in the same area. You can buy a combined ticket.

www.amth.gr

www.mbp.gr

Have a walk in Aristotle square (Aristotelus), maybe a visit to a byzantine monument ( St Sofia perhaps ) and stroll on the seafront. Tsimiski street and the surrounding area is the main shopping area.

Reagarding food have a look at that link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189473-i965-k1693…

Coffee shops and restaurant/taverns is the one thing you won't miss.

London, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family with young children, what to do

Thank you so much for this info, we feel reassured that there will be plenty of suitable things for us to do!

Thank you

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family with young children, what to do

hi.

if you want a hotel with nice pool not as nice as the hyatt but still more than o.k. then try makedonia palace-close to city center. www.classicalhotels.gr as for the information already given couldn't be more useful.

London, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family with young children, what to do

Hello PANDP

I am a mother of two in thessaloniki, and I can tell you, it is not the easiest of places for a family with children. Both the Hyatt and the Makedonia Palace are good hotel choices. Personally, I would prefer the Hyatt. Firstly, they have a special paddling pool and also a little 'play area' (very small but adequate). The pool 'scene' of the hyatt really is the best. Makedonia Palace has a tiny pool (not even specifically for children-it's for everyone!) right on the seafront, but no real space. It generally feels much more cramped than the Hyatt.I believe the HYATT have regualar transfers to and from the city? and another plus is that it is very near the airport so you won't need to hurry on the day of your departure.

Another good choice is the NIKOPOLIS, which also boasts a huge adult pool and a nice little one for the children. The Nikopolis is near the Hyatt and very near the Mediterranean Cosmos shopping mall and the MAGIC PARK amusement park (I think that the MAGIC PARK is only open in the evening). If you are staying at a hotel with a pool (and really, you should at this time of the year), don't bother with WATERLAND as it's quite a long way away from the city (20 KM I think) and in my opinion a little dangerous for young children.

Wherever you go, make sure that THE AIRCONDITIONING WORKS! I think if you just go to one museum this should be the BYZANTINE (official name MUSEUM OF BYZANTINE CULTURE) as it is a fantastic building, and attached to that is a wonderful cafe, a little oasis in the concrete jungle. The archaeology museum next door is also good. Don't bother with smaller museums unless you have a special interest.

Children might also enjoy: 1. the revolving telecom tower in the EXPO-Int'l Fair (opposite the museums)

2.the shaded playground of the FOKAS park (near Makedonia palace)

3.A sunset walk on the seafront (or a ride in one of the horse-drawn carriages, or a ride on the little train).

4.An 'exploration' of the open market area by Aristotelous square (Ermou Street, Vas. Hrakleiou st., and the arcades that house a great variety of food stalls).

Most restaurants are very child-friendly but the ones that really cater for children tend to be the international chains Applebee's, TGIF, Pizza Hut and Greece's answer to McDonald's, 'GOODY's. For Greek food try meze portions at 4seafood restaurant (Makedonia Palace) or similar establishment ('Zythos' at city centre, the poolside taverna at the Hyatt, Kitchen Bar at the port, etc).

Whatever you do make sure that your children are always well protected with sunscreen, plenty of hydration and a hat when you venture in town.

London, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family with young children, what to do

Thanks so much for the advice, you've all been a great help and I feel very prepared now - we will really looking forward to a mini city break after spending nearly two weeks at Sani!

It will be our third year at Sani and we love the resort but would like a little bit more at the end of the holiday.

Thanks again.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family with young children, what to do

OK I'll be a bit off subject now but I wanted to give a good tip about Sani as I live there. Unless you don't have full board and you eat at the marina restaurants I have to recommend that one night you could go to Nea Fokia (a village 10Km from Sani) where a very nice fish tavern is situated called Odyseas (I usually eat there as I find the Sani Marina restaurants over priced and offering ridiculously small potions for Greeks).

and also concerning the restaurants mentioned above I would recommend against Kitchen Bar by the port although the ambiance is great inside the flavors fail to please me every time. On the other hand if you want a similar up market kind of restaurant Garcon Bracerie has always been good on the sea front. But to be honest I wouldn't take a visitor to thessaloniki to none of the above as the dishes there are not characteristic of the local cuisine. You can also try Agioli (Greek cuisine with a contemporary twist, owned by Zithos restaurants) under Electra palace hotel (at Aristotelous square).

London, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family with young children, what to do

I agree with Kinky John's observation about the kitchen bar, the food is rather bland...however, it is a great location, with plenty of space for young children to run around (as they do...) and not disturb anyone. Also, I often find that children tend to favour bland and also familiar foods over local cuisine! My advice has been based on the fact that children are involved. Aioli at the Electra Palace is also great.

Do give us feedback when you get back PANDP2006!

London, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family with young children, what to do

Hello, just popped on to print the thread off and noticed that there were some more posts! Thank you so much for the restaurant info, and apologies for not noticing them earlier - very remiss of me! The restaurant info for near Sani is very helpful, we're hiring a car and plan to dine around.

Thanks again.

9. Re: Family with young children, what to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 03:23