We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thessaloniki with children

Norway
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Thessaloniki with children

We're going to Thessaloniki in the middle of October, for 5 days.

Do any of you have suggestions of what to do in Thessaloniki with a ten year old girl, to make her stay in the city a memorable one.

Are there any hamams, baths or water-therapy spas that allow children down town. And does anyone know about the magic park, weather it's open or not in October?

And finally; what can be interesting activities if the rain starts pouring down?

All suggestions to make our vacation special are very welcome.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thessaloniki with children

Hey and welcome Anniken64:-) Am sure our wonderful Thessaloniki/Madedonia Experts and contributors will soon kick in for you! I'm just kickin' in to say I do believe you will both totally fall in love with this incredible waterfront City..was first introduced here at 5 yrs old..and still returning after numerous 'decades'..Am keepin' an eye on this one..and am sure you'll totally Enjoy!}

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
226 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thessaloniki with children

Hi!

1- MagicPark will be open on October and since the site is in greek only:

Weekdays 17:00-00:00, Saturday 17:00-01:00, Sunday 11:00-00:00

2- Not inside the city but close i believe is:

http://www.western.gr/eng/indexeng.html

or

http://rancho.gr/english/index_en.htm

3- A museum, not at all boring for kids, is NOESIS. It's a technological museum with interactive exhibits, planetarium, cosmotheatre, virtual reality simulator etc. I went with my 10 year old nephew there and he enjoyed it. The english site is under construction but to get an idea click on the PDF file at the bottom of the page.

http://www.tmth.edu.gr/en/index.html

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
836 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thessaloniki with children

Hi there Anniken64,

I believe that Thessaloniki has a lot to offer to its visitors, no matter what the age is.

Regarding the spas that you mentioned, I have tried my self the one at "Egnatia Palace Hotel" in the city center. It's a relatively small one, at the basement of the hotel, but I was totally satisfied from their services. You could try that one.

Moreover, Magic Park could be a very nice break for your child, but if the rain starts pouring, then in a walking distance of a minute or two, from "Magic Park", you'll find the biggest mall of the city, which is called "Mediterannean Cosmos", with many different activities for kids and not only. There are many cinemas there, bowling and games in general, many restaurants and tavernas, cafes, many many shops.

The Planetarium which is again very very close to Mediterannean Cosmos, could also be a great idea!

Now, if the weather is nice, the "new" waterfront of Thessaloniki is very very nice. You can walk from the White tower, or take the small train from there, and you'll be able to see on the waterfront the new parks of the city, and maybe have a snack and a coffee or something.

As far as museums are concerned, there are tons of them for every kind. Archaeological, Byzantine, the Macedonian struggle museum, contemporary art museum, and many many many others.

Please feel free to ask for more details if you need anything.

Friendly regards,

Yannis.

Mentioned in this post
Magic Park
Magic Park
52 Reviews
Thessaloniki, Greece
Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thessaloniki with children

I NEVER thought I'd say this on this forum, but since you are specifically asking for water-therapy... well, yes, there is one in my town (Lagadas). You will not find Lagadas anywhere on TripAdvisor or anywhere else for that matter... but if you take bus 83 from Stavroupoli bus station (several buses from the center terminate there), its last stop is Loutra Lagada, which is the healing mineral springs (with baths) in Lagadas town. There are several buses actually, they all start with 83, like 83B, 83E, etc. They all end there. You go through a bunch of villages, finally through Lagadas itself, and about 5 minutes later, you get to the baths. Altogether the bus ride from Thessaloniki is about 40 minutes or so. You can get right back on the bus at the front entrance of the baths and go back to the city. Bus fare for this is 50 cents (60 cents if you buy your ticket on the bus from the machine).

I would never normally talk about my town on TA since it's REALLY NOT a tourist destination. But the baths are very good if you like healing mineral springs. They are not sulphuric or hot springs. They are especially recommended for rheumatic/joint issues. The baths are open year-round.

Personally, I spend a LOT of time there, because I can walk there from my house and they have running tracks, basketball, beach volleyball, soccer, tennis, etc., courts, two swimming pools (closed now - they are outdoor pools), cafes, restaurant, etc. There's even an archaeological site there (the Byzantine baths).

So... if you are up for it... check it out, you might even see me there :)

And this is probably the last time I will ever talk about Lagadas on TA LOL!!!

Mentioned in this post
Stavroupoli
Stavroupoli
Thessaloniki Region, Greece
Norway
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thessaloniki with children

Thank you so much for your kind interest in our trip to Thessaloniki!

We spend some really nice days there!

Norway
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thessaloniki with children

Thank you so much for your kind interest in our trip to Thessaloniki.

We spend real nice days there!

Noesis was a very good choice on a rainy day! Both for me and my daughter!

Next time we'll probably have time for the rest of your ideas.

Thank you!

Norway
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thessaloniki with children

Thank you!

Norway
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thessaloniki with children

Thank you!

Norway
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thessaloniki with children

The Mediteranean Cosmos was a very good choice on a rainy day! Both for me and my daughter And the plantetarium was a thrill!

The waterfront was also great and we spend a lot of time there.

Thank you!

Norway
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thessaloniki with children

We spend so nice days there!

Next time we'll probably have time for your idea about going to the hot springs of Lagadas.

This time we were both just too busy seeing the wonderful city Thessaloniki, with all it's attractions!

A nice woman in Thess. also recomended Lagadas to me, and it do sounds like a pleassant thing to do.

Thank you!