We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Athens to Thessaloniki?

Which Thessaloniki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
25 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Athens to Thessaloniki?

we will be in Athens the week before greek orthodox easter, and wonder about the best way to travel to Thessaloniki from there? is is by air or bus? and what is most reliable, appreciate input-thanks much

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Athens to Thessaloniki?

Hey and welcome allygirl60:-) Sign up now for email alerts on both www.aegeanair.com/ www.olympicair.com/ You'll have a bit of a wait for updated schedules, but way to go..flight takes barely half an hour! Would not bother with bus..there is also a train and in that case, consider the express that takes about 4 plus hours thereabouts..bottom line, flying is best IMO;) happy planning..and enjoy!

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
436 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Athens to Thessaloniki?

I agree with Litsa, best way, at the current conditions/prices, is by air. Apart of the URLs she gave, have a look also:

www.airtickets.gr/newsletter-online.asp…

The offer is for flying in the next weeks up to Christmas.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
367 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Athens to Thessaloniki?

Hello,

the best way (and a lot cheaper) is to get the train, check online at www.trainose.gr they have big dicounts when you book online, like 9, 19 or 29 euros only per ticket!!!!

Ipoh, Malaysia
Level Contributor
3 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Athens to Thessaloniki?

yes, I am Philipcss

If have time travel by train will be best ,relax and enjoy the train journey senaries. This should be way for holiday

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,418 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Athens to Thessaloniki?

Depends on how much money you want to spend. However, as previously pointed the train journey is scenic.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from Athens to Thessaloniki?

I have found it impossible to book our trip from Athens to Thessalonika online on trainose from the United States. That site comes up only in Greek. Europe Rail does not do Greek trains, and travel agents will not book trains unless they can also book all my travel (we are renting houses). I have also tried an online travel site recommended --Viva--but when it comes time to pay, whatever credit card I put in comes back not acceptable. If any one has been able to book train travel successfully from the US I would love to hear from them.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
367 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from Athens to Thessaloniki?

Hello,

yes ,there seems to be strict privacy rules when it comes at the payment with credit card, i had the same problem last week when i wanted to book a ticket from Athens to Thessaloniki with my credit card :(

I hope they fix it soon, cause i had to use a friend's credit card and i am glad that it was accepted by the system!!!

Anyway, you can always contact and express your complaints, webticketing@trainose.gr

And finally, if you are coming for more than a few days in Athens, you can always go to the train station and buy the tickets a couple of days before the departure, i am sure you will find, cause Greek people always prefer to buy tickets at the last moment!!! :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get from Athens to Thessaloniki?

Hey joanb170:-) Do yourself a favor so you don't aggravate yourself anymore and listen to flatexpert1;-) Book the tickets when you get there..I've taken the train many times and always booked on the spot! You don't mention 'when' you're going..but you can rest assured booking a couple of days in advance while there should clinch it easily! Happy planning to you..and Enjoy!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get from Athens to Thessaloniki?

Thank You. We will be in Hydra for a week before going to Thessalonika, so will stop fussing and just book our tickets from Hydra.

Caye Caulker, Belize
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get from Athens to Thessaloniki?

Hello, I need to travel to Athens from Thessaloniki tomorrow (Nov 11) and returning on Sunday (Nov 13). Can you tell me where to get the train in Thessaloniki, and what time it departs?