We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customary Gift for host?

Which Thessaloniki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Topic
Customary Gift for host?

During my upcoming visit to Thessaloniki, a long time friend (we've not seen each other in many years) has offered her home during our stay. Can anyone make some suggestions on general items that might be good to bring as gifts? I have heard that sweets and flowers are common, but these items won't make the long flight from the States. And don't really want to pick anything up at the airport (she'll be meeting us there, so no time to stop before I see her). Being from new Orleans, I have thought of Louisiana coffee, but I'm not sure how that stacks up to Greek coffee.

Help!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customary Gift for host?

Hey and welcome Traci W:-) I dont think the coffee is a bad idea.. but bottom line, most perishables, whether food or flowers, won't last long;-) I'd look more into something long-lasting.. maybe a local/authentic tee-shirt.. something original from your neck of the woods?;-) Something she can look at for a long time and remind her of you;-o) Am sure you'll come up with something original! EnjoY!

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Customary Gift for host?

Not very special, but let's not forget the ziplock bags- those seem to be a popular request!

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Customary Gift for host?

Sweets and cakes will make it ok - I regularly take these items to friends in Australia. There they have to be in sealed packaging or customs won't allow them in. I'm not sure what Greece's restrictions are. Cheese in a vacuum pack and dried meats etc will also make the journey. Check if they're allowed. Don't forget that times are hard economically in Greece for everyone at the moment so anything you can do to help without it looking like charity will be I'm sure gratefully received.

4. Re: Customary Gift for host?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2013, 10:15