We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thessaloniki airport - Damouchari, Pelion

Stockton. England
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Thessaloniki airport - Damouchari, Pelion

Arriving at SKG because Volos flights were extortionate. Is it going to be as easy to rent a car for our fortnight to reach Damouchari or is their a reliable train / bus alternative?

Is it a reasonable drive or am I going to get hopelessly lost if we go the car hire route?

One possibility is to break the journey up for a couple of nights. Any suggestions on small secluded rocky coves?

Thanks for any help.

Jerry

Mentioned in this post
Volos
Volos
Magnesia Region, Greece
Makedonia Airport
Makedonia Airport
Thessaloniki, Greece
Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thessaloniki airport - Damouchari, Pelion

Cross posted on Volos forum.

Mentioned in this post
Volos
Volos
Magnesia Region, Greece
Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
436 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thessaloniki airport - Damouchari, Pelion

Of course it is easy to rent a car at Macedonia-Thessaloniki airport. Many companies have offices at the airport. I would not suggest the train, or the bus, provided that you want to have mobility once you arrive at Damouchari. Not sure if it will cost you cheaper to take the bus and hire a car at Volos.

The drive up to Volos is highway. However from there on to Damouchari, although the distance is 60 km only, the road is extremely scenic but you will have to ask some times on the way, to make sure you are on the right path. Also using maps.google will give you adequate guidance. Using the bus from Volos to Damouchari, will get you stuck in the village with bus schedules not so frequent. All in all, I strongly suggest that you hire a car right away you are in Thessaloniki.

Remember, thw whole area is very much worth, not only Damouchari.

Edited: 09 December 2012, 09:20
Mentioned in this post
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki Region, Greece
Volos
Volos
Magnesia Region, Greece
Stockton. England
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thessaloniki airport - Damouchari, Pelion

Thanks for your help.

I've been quoted €500 for a return VIP taxi service. There are 4 of us so still makes it cheaper than if we'd flown to Volos but works out the same price as if we hire a car from this country before we go.

Is the Thessaloniki ring road a free flowing easy to negotiate highway also?

How much are the toll booths? Is this just a throw in euro coins trough variety?

Thanks again.

Jerry

Mentioned in this post
Volos
Volos
Magnesia Region, Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
436 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thessaloniki airport - Damouchari, Pelion

The ring road of Thessaloniki is a few times congested in summertime at around noon 1200-1600, however this is not the norm. One can pay the toll at the toll booth in cash.

I did not quite understand if you need the car for tranfer only or to ride about in Pelion. Usually people see it as a journey to Pelion the mountain, not the specific village one stays. To my opinion it would be a shame to get stucked in just one village, even with all the good beaches it has to offer.

Mentioned in this post
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
Pelion
Pelion
Magnesia Region, Greece
Stockton. England
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thessaloniki airport - Damouchari, Pelion

Hi. Yes it's looking as though we'll be hiring a car for the full 2 weeks in order to tour the Pelion.

Thanks for your help.

Jerry

Mentioned in this post
Pelion
Pelion
Magnesia Region, Greece
Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
385 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thessaloniki airport - Damouchari, Pelion

Hi, there!

I agree with tripper 2007.It would be a waist of money to take a Vip taxi.Driving from Thessaloniki to Volos is very easy.You can also admire the mount Olympus and maybe make a quick stop to the village of Litochoro.

Driving on Pelion mountain is more difficult and tirying because of the curves sometimes but the view from many villages is extraordinary.You should visit many of them because each one has something new to offer!

Enjoy your trip!

Liana

Mentioned in this post
From Thessaloniki
From Thessaloniki
25 Reviews
Thessaloniki, Greece
Mount Olympus
Mount Olympus
211 Reviews
Thessaly, Greece
Volos
Volos
Magnesia Region, Greece
Pelion
Pelion
Magnesia Region, Greece
Stockton. England
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thessaloniki airport - Damouchari, Pelion

Hi. Yes I've now hired a car from the airport for the full 2 weeks to explore the Pelion.

I would imagine after getting around the Thessalonika ring road the hardest part will be finding the correct turn in Volos but hey, its an adventure and i've found some of the nicest scenery in the past by getting lost...ha.

Looking forward to it.

Jerry

Mentioned in this post
Pelion
Pelion
Magnesia Region, Greece
Volos
Volos
Magnesia Region, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thessaloniki airport - Damouchari, Pelion

That's the attitude Jerry;-) Nice goin'! Having a car at your disposal for the entire tirp gives you max freedom/flexibility to do as you wish.. when you wish.. as mentioned, time stop and 'smell the flowers' so to speak.. grab a coffee.. stop for pic.. whatever;-) Looking torward to hearing all about it.. but in the meantime, you've got some waiting to do.. like most of us lol;-)) Keep enjoyin'!

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
436 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thessaloniki airport - Damouchari, Pelion

Litsa, you seem to have the ability to turn an extraordinary trip become marvelous. Your ideas sometimes general, sometimes precise, always open a new door in enjoiyng a journey.

Jerry, what do you mean "the hardest part will be finding the correct turn in Volos"? If you mean the point when you have to leave the national highway and get into the road to Volos, the exact drive is :

http://goo.gl/maps/JhW7L

when you think you are approaching this point, just slow down, and half a km before it, there are signs pointing the exit to Volos and Velestino (a historical village).

If you are preoccupied with something else, do ask.

Regarding Litochoro, is much worth spending half a day.

http://goo.gl/maps/QiDGW

Try to walk a bit into the mountain.

http://tinyurl.com/akcr9od

Then you will feel the godly weight of the Olympians pressing you crushingly to reflect upon the wisdom of ancient Greece in the abstract, and its application to everyday life. Anyway when near, you will feel this, just looking at the massive tip of the mountain (height 3000m).

Also when in Pelion you cannot but remember the dwelling of Centaurus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaurus_(Greek_mythology)

and how inhabitants considered horses to be an extension of their feet, producing the greatest hero of all, Achilles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achilleus

Edited: 11 January 2013, 08:06
Mentioned in this post
Volos
Volos
Magnesia Region, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Pelion
Pelion
Magnesia Region, Greece
Stockton. England
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thessaloniki airport - Damouchari, Pelion

Hi Triper.....no what I'm a little unsure of is once in Volos, finding the correct road to Damouchari but i'm sure i'll be armed with maps before we set off.

Thanks for all your help and links. Some interesting reading there.

Jerry

Mentioned in this post
Volos
Volos
Magnesia Region, Greece