We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meteroa to Thessaloniki most scenic route

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Meteroa to Thessaloniki most scenic route

In late September we will be touring Greece by car. The last part of our trip will be from Delphi to Kalabaka to Thessoloniki to Kavala.

My question is once we leave Meteroa we can head North to E90 and on to Thessaloniki or I can head back to Larissa and follow the coast road up to Thessaloniki. Is one of these roads more scenic than the other? Anything to recommend one route over the other?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Delphi
Delphi
Phocis Region, Greece
Kavala
Kavala
Kavala Region, Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki Region, Greece
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meteroa to Thessaloniki most scenic route

go north towards Larissa .. you'll get to go through the Tembi Valley region and up through the beaches of Larissas .. it's the best (I think it might be the ONLY route ..) but skirt around Larissa ... unless you plan to stop for lunch in the city center !!!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meteroa to Thessaloniki most scenic route

Sorry a bit confused as Larissa is not North of Meteora! But I think what you are saying is the coastal road is the preferred route?

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
15,474 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meteroa to Thessaloniki most scenic route

The coastal road is a main highway so you'll have the sea views on your right & the Olympos range on your left (if it is not hidden in clouds). The route on the E90 highway is of course scenic without the sea! It all depends on how much time you have for the journey. To get from A to B is really a personal call you simply have to choose what appeals to you most in terms of scenery whizzing by!

If it was me & I had plenty of time for the trip & looking for stopping off points to take photographs, enjoy a drink etc I would actually head towards Larisa, then go north west inland on the road to Kozani & pick up the E90 from there. This road goes past the back of the Olympos range, through some great scenery & over the Aliakmonas dam on the highest/longest bridge in the Balkans - quite stunning! Well worth a stop on the north side of the bridge at the village of Neraida (turn right at the end of the bridge) which was built to replace the one in the valley drownded by the flooding to make the dam. The church at Neraida is awesome - totally painted on the outside with frescoes etc of the saints. We spent a day in this area & explored some amazing back roads & plan to go back one day with a couple of days to spare.

Here is a video about the building of the dam - quite long at 14 minutes, but gives a good idea of the area, as you get the current views from Neraida at the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-6CvGe5C8s

Mentioned in this post
Olympos
Olympos
Antalya Province, Turkey
4. Re: Meteroa to Thessaloniki most scenic route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 07:17