We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Athens to Thessaloniki by train????

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Athens to Thessaloniki by train????

I plan to take a trip to Athens and then hop to Thessaloniki but wanted to get there by other modes of transport other than flying. I was thinking of taking a train. Are there any trains that run between these cities and if yes, how long does it take and how much does it cost.

Just to make it a little more interesting I am thinking of taking a ferry from Thessaloniki to Rhodos. Also need to know if these ferries run throughout September and if I need to prebook seats. i will need 3 adult tickets.

If anyone has any information, that would be great!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki Region, Greece
From Thessaloniki
From Thessaloniki
25 Reviews
Thessaloniki, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Athens to Thessaloniki by train????

Hey and welcome Stav E:-) There are trains between Athens/Thessaloniki.. the express ones take about 4-5 hours I believe.. thereabouts.. the slower ones can take as long as 7-8hours! I don't believe you'll find ferry service from Salonika to Rhodes in Sept.. I could be wrong, but you'd need to keep an eye out on the ferry sites as they update.. www.gtp.gr/ www.openseas.gr/ FWIW, it's a long journey taking practically 2 days! If not direct ferry, use the site to see where you can head to from Thessaloniki.. when they appear for Sept.. usually it's Lesbos, Chios.. you could then work your way down the Dodecanesse chain from there to Rhodes! You may want to check flights.. some are direct and take about an hour.. keep an eye out and sign up for email alerts now with www.aegeanair.com/ www.olympicair.com/ Not sure if Olympic offers the directs in Sept.. you may need to go via Athens.. but Aegean does have directs on site now to Rhodes from Salonika;-) Sounds like a great adventure.. I do trust you have the time since this will require a bit of it;-) Happy planning.. and enJOY!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
From Thessaloniki
From Thessaloniki
25 Reviews
Thessaloniki, Greece
Lesbos
Lesbos
Northeast Aegean Islands, Greece
Chios
Chios
Northeast Aegean Islands, Greece
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Athens to Thessaloniki by train????

Thanks Litsa.

All noted. I will check the URLs you posted here and I will start to plan the trip. Thanks again for the advice. Its a first time for me planning an extensive trip with two teenagers and I want to see more of Greece without having to hop on and off planes. We have approx 7 weeks abroad and we are looking forward to it....

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Thessaloniki, Greece
Destination Expert
for Thessaloniki
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Athens to Thessaloniki by train????

I doubt there will be any ferries from Thessaloniki to Rhodes..Train Thessaloniki to Athens takes about 5 hours..There is also the bus option of course!

Grigoris

Mentioned in this post
From Thessaloniki
From Thessaloniki
25 Reviews
Thessaloniki, Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Athens to Thessaloniki by train????

Thanks Grigori. It's been great getting advice and being able to plan a trip myself. This is the first time I have tried online planning and it's been a while since I travelled to Greece so any help is useful.

:)

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Athens to Thessaloniki by train????

Our pleasure Stav E:-) Let us know how the planning goes! Keep us posted.. keep enjoyin'!

Haarlem...
Level Contributor
14 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Athens to Thessaloniki by train????

Hi,

For the train,have a look here http://www.trainose.gr/en. We will be travelling from Athens to Thessaloníki end August. For the 2 of us (return tickets) the price amounts to 101 euro. It seems you can get tickets for 9, 19, 39 etc. euro (non refundable0. How to get them is another question that a reader may be able to answer, 'cause I don't have a clue.

Enjoy your trip!

Jan

Edited: 08 July 2013, 22:35
Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Athens to Thessaloniki by train????

Hi Jan

Thanks for the update. I'm going to have a look at the URL you posted. I will probably wait till I get there before I purchase the tickets as I will be in Greece for 6 weeks. I hope you enjoy your trip. I can't wait to get there.

Stav. :)

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Thessaloniki, Greece
Destination Expert
for Thessaloniki
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Athens to Thessaloniki by train????

In order to benefit for the low prices you should book online your train tickets only some days in advance(3-4).

Grigoris

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Athens to Thessaloniki by train????

That's good advice Grigoris. I will be in Thessaloniki for about 5 days so will book the train when I get there. I'm counting down the days now not long before I board the plane for sunny Greece,,,,!!

Stav

Mentioned in this post
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
Greece
Greece
Europe
Thessaloniki, Greece
Destination Expert
for Thessaloniki
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Athens to Thessaloniki by train????

For example i tried a random booking for Saturday 13/07 and there tickets at 9,19 and 29 euros online..You can start cheching a week before your train travel to see what the prices are like.Have a great time!

Grigoris