We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thessaloniki good for first trip to Greece?

west midlands
Level Contributor
103 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Thessaloniki good for first trip to Greece?

Hi

I want to take my husband to Greece for a short break in June. I have been to Greece and many of the islands but never this part. It's a short flight for us and I have found very reasonable flights. But this is a region I know noithing about.

We are a couple in our mid 30's we like short breaks where we can combine lively towns and cities with good eating and shopping with a nice beach too and a bit of history and culture. So destinations like Kyrenia, Antalya and Istanbul have been good for us.

We would arrive on a friday night and leave sunday night.

I like the look of Le Palace hotel. It's the kind of place I would normaly go for but I don't think we'd be close to a nice beach from there. So my first question would be can we get a bus from that hotel to a nice beach and is it regular and reliable?

Is there a resort in between the airport and the city that would be better?

I have also considered Halkidiki but I think we'd need a taxi due to the time we land which is very pricey to any of the islands.

So another option may be to go to one of the islands. Would it work spending one night in the city then getting a ferry somewhere else for the second night? Is there an island that's close with a very cheap ferry. I have done this from Pireaus before and considered going to Mykonos or Santorini instead of this trip but the ferries take too long and cost too much.

We're also open to traveling by train to anywhere that's a short hop.

In short how can we get the most out of 48 hours in this region?

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Kyrenia
Kyrenia
Kyrenia District, Cyprus
Antalya
Antalya
Antalya Province, Turkey
Halkidiki Region
Halkidiki Region
Central Macedonia, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Voila Silver Jewels
Gift & Speciality Shops
En Karpo
Gift & Speciality Shops
Filokalein
Gift & Speciality Shops
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thessaloniki good for first trip to Greece?

Hi there

Just my take on things but with just one full day and two part days at your disposal, you really don't need to be wasting what precious time you have on ferries, trains, buses or domestic flights, take a flight straight to an island and spend the time there, or to somewhere on the mainland, airports in various locations including Kalamata.

Mentioned in this post
Kalamata
Kalamata
Messenia Region, Greece
west midlands
Level Contributor
103 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thessaloniki good for first trip to Greece?

Hi thanks for the reply. We live in Cyprus and run our own business. The flight from Larnaca to Thessaloniki is the chapest and most convenient times to fit in with work which is why it is top of the list at the moment. But if there was an island within an hour by ferry from Thessaloniki we'd consider it.

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Larnaca
Larnaca
Larnaka District, Cyprus
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki Region, Greece
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thessaloniki good for first trip to Greece?

thessaloniki is a great town, much less hectic than athens..since you only have a weekend spend the time there..if you go to thessaloniki forum and do some reading or post your own questions you will not be dissapointed..it is now getting a bit cold for islands or ''beach weather''' anyway..

by typing the key words of any question you have in the research bar of thessaliniki forum many previous answers will come up..

Edited: 21 October 2013, 11:14
west midlands
Level Contributor
103 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thessaloniki good for first trip to Greece?

That is good to know. I've done Athens but my husband hasn't I found it very hectic and left one of the hotels early as it was in a rough area and spent the rest of the stay in Piraeus.

I could trawl the forums but was trying to save time.

Looking for next summer already as the flights are cheap now. I think June is a nice time for the weather in Greece.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Piraeus
Piraeus
Piraeus Region, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
stockton on tees
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thessaloniki good for first trip to Greece?

Thessaloniki is a vibrant and fascinating city with lots to see and do. I visited in March this year and am going again next year. On my first visit, several years ago, l stayed at Le Palace,it was nice and very central. There are beaches to both the east and west of the city, I have never been but they will take a while to reach. There are certainly no islands which can be reached easily by ferry. For me, Thessaloniki is a place to go for culture,shops and food, definitely food but I would not class it is a place to go for a short beach break.

Mentioned in this post
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki Region, Greece
west midlands
Level Contributor
103 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thessaloniki good for first trip to Greece?

I think I will try and take the focus off the beach aspect of it then. Maybe I could then go earlier in the year and make it even cheaper. I've read The Thread and have wanted to go since then but my husband isn't into history as much as I am. That's good to know about The Palace too.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thessaloniki good for first trip to Greece?

Hi again

Unless you travel in July or August, then there's not likely to be a huge difference in price between June and any other time of the season. If you want to visit an island for a couple of days, then where do Cyprus Air fly to? I know they go to Crete as I've seen their planes at Iraklion airport, maybe they fly to other islands in Greece.

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Crete
Crete
Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
west midlands
Level Contributor
103 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thessaloniki good for first trip to Greece?

Yes Crete is an option too but its more expensive and flights not very good times. There are Ryanair flights too but we are nearly 3 hours from Paphos. I don't know much about Crete either but will look into it anyway. The other islands you have to go via Athens which we are trying to avoid. But I might look at the one that has the shortest stopover. But it's 5hrs to Santorini out and 8 back so I sacked that idea We have looked at cruises from here too but they take too long and cost too much.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Paphos
Paphos
Paphos District, Cyprus
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thessaloniki good for first trip to Greece?

I'm not suggesting for one minute that you go to Crete, it's just too large to do any form of justice to in one full day, I was just wondering where else they fly to in Greece.

An observation if you don't mind- the entire trip seems to hinge on cost, with you seeming to want everything as inexpensive as possible. Nothing wrong with that, but at the end of it, you really are coming a long way for such a short trip of one full day, and I don't think you can trim the cost og getting to Greece much regardless of whether you stay for a day or two weeks. You really don't need to be taking domestic flights to/from Athens or ferries or anything else - you need to choose one destination, fly there and stay there, you just do not have the luxury of time to start heading off to other places from a base somewhere.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
west midlands
Level Contributor
103 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thessaloniki good for first trip to Greece?

We have been very lucky with how we have traveled in the past and just want this trip to be the same in terms of time and value. We did Venice and Milan this year in 3 days and on €400 total. And 2 nights in Antalya was €250 we live in a holiday resort but still like to have other ideas in mind close by and it's very annoying that it's cheaper sometimes to fly back to the uk than to hop over to Greece. It shouldn't be like that. We prefer to treat ourselvs while we are away so that's why we try to keep costs down too.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Antalya
Antalya
Antalya Province, Turkey
Greece
Greece