We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a card I can get for a Senior Citizen discount?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
137 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a card I can get for a Senior Citizen discount?

I will be traveling in and around Salonica in September. Is there a card I can get somewhere that will give me senior citizen discounts? I have an AARP card and my California driver's license, but will those be all I will need, or is there something else I can get while in Greece?

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a card I can get for a Senior Citizen discount?

hi.

for european citizens i think there is i do not know about us citizens at all.

sorry.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,802 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a card I can get for a Senior Citizen discount?

AARP card or the California driver's license are not considered valid documents in the European Union ( in the exact same way European Union driver licenses are not considered valid documents in the US ).

**The driver's license especially is not considered a valid document, nor as an ID or as a driver's license ( in the case you want to drive in the EU you definitely need an IDL ).

The only valid document that can be used as id AND to recognise age regarding senior citizen discounts is your US passport only.

Now, to the discounts:

There is no definite list for what you are entitled. Each venue has different rules. Usually, the senior citizens discounts ( that's over 65 ) apply for either EU citizens or citizens from Norway, Liecthenstein and Iceland.

What we can definitely do is to check if senior citizens discounts for American visitors apply for specific venues. The list is so big that's really hard to tell before hand. What i would expect though is that the senior citizens discounts don't apply for any visitors except those from the European Union and Norway, Liecthenstein and Iceland.

Edited: 01 April 2014, 16:19
Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
436 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a card I can get for a Senior Citizen discount?

In Thessaloniki urban transport:

Senior citizens (over the age of 65 or having their 65th birthday within the year), are entitled to a reduced fare for all types of tickets and unlimited travel cards. These must carry and produce on demand their valid ID card, passport or other official document of identity and age.

http://oasth.gr/#en/fares/

To my opinion, the country of origin of the passenger is irrelevant.

Edited: 03 April 2014, 09:03
4. Re: Is there a card I can get for a Senior Citizen discount?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2015, 07:15