We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from city

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from city

I will be in Thessaloki for a week in early August, supervising a group of older teenagers. They will be occupied all day until 9pm and my role is as a contact for emergencies and general problem solving. I expect therefore to have several days of blissful freedom! I enjoy walking, having done several stretches of the Camino, I write and I love live theatre and music. I will rely on public transport. Any suggestions for me to have an interesting day and evening welcome!

california
Level Contributor
371 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from city

For seeing by walking, try going into the old part of town up on the hill and strolling about there. And down around Ladadika. August will be hot though. There's some interesting people watching to do around that main square and the arch. I also liked the museums I visited. The Jewish museum was smaller, but quite informative and moving. The Byzantine and Archeological museums were right up my alley. But I also enjoyed the exhibits they happened to have at the art museum at the time I went. Under Agious Demetrios Church is interesting ancient crypts. You can see a lot just wandering around Thessaloniki since you like walking.

This time I'm going to try to visit Pella and Vergina, not sure yet whether by bus on two separate days or by car rental on same day, will need to figure that out quite soon. If you really are free to take off from the city during the day, there is also the ancient Dion and Mt Olympus near by. Mt Olympus is a very striking mountain. People have been telling me that there are waterfalls in Edessa, I'll probably only get to see those if I do the car thing as I only have 2 days there this time.

Mentioned in this post
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki Region, Greece
Pella Hotel
Pella Hotel
179 Reviews
Thessaloniki, Greece
Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from city

Many thanks, all that sounds fantastic!

3. Re: Day trips from city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 05:17