We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chios - Samos connection

Ljubljana, Slovenia
3 posts
Save Topic
Chios - Samos connection

I wonder if there is any connection between Chios and Samos except ferries? Me and my boyfriend would like to visit both islands, spend one week on Samos and then head for Chios. We will have to get back to Samos to catch the plane back home. The departure of our plane is around noon, so the ferry won’t suit us, because it arrives to Samos too late.

Thank you in advance!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chios - Samos connection

I don't think there is a direct flight between the two islands. You would have to fly through Athens, which seems pretty inconvenient to me. Have you considered another island closer to Samos, like Patmos or Ikaria, instead?

Bucharest
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chios - Samos connection

Two years ago, in August, we have flown with Olympic Athens - Chios - Samos - Rhodos - Athens. It was a circular route, starting and finishing in Athens. No ideea if there is also a circuit in the reverse sense,including a Samos-Chios flight. The flight we got was available 3 times a week at the moment, we had to slightly alter our number of days in every one of the above islands in order to be able to move around by plane.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chios - Samos connection

Neo 11, Samos IS closer to Chios than it is to Patmos, Chios is just ill-served by ferries. Patmos is daily because it is an excursion (popular because of the monastery). When we went to Chios from Samos, we had to go on a 9 pm ferry, arrived 12:30 a.m, stayed 2 nights, had to get a 4:30 AM ferry back!

That is one reason Chios is not better known or more traveled.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chios - Samos connection

Looking at a map, it seems to me that Patmos is, geographically, closer to Samos than Chios is, though the difference isn't tremendous. You are absolutely right though that Chios is not well-served by ferries, and that Patmos is a popular excursion island and, as such, is easier to reach by ferry and smaller boats. And other than a possible ferry connection, I don't believe there is any connection between the islands by plane.

Melbourne
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chios - Samos connection

Hi, I am planning the same trip for September/October but the difference is I am looking for a way to get to Chios from Patmos. I was thinking that there might be a ferry to Samos and then to Chios but can not find information regarding timetables or prices anywhere. The other option I was considering is if there was a Patmos-Lesvos ferry and then spend a few days in Lesvos and return to Chios via ferry (which I found occurs daily) and then from Chios I can just plane it back to Athens. Can anyone confirm a ferry trip option from Patmos to Lesvos? Which company?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chios - Samos connection

Vicky if you want an answer from others to your query, it helps to Be specific about when you hope to do this, (ie btween sept 20 -25) and if you have several days' flexibility. There are very few ferries from Samos to Chios & they aren't timed for "visits."

I know that when I wanted to get to chios from Samos, we had to work our other plans arround the only ferries ... we left Samos at 2100, arrived :30... toured around the next day, and the FOLLOWING day had to catch a 5 am ferry. So you see, it's not handy.

If you want to see what's available in General, use the www.gtp.gr. ferry website. Put in your 2 islands, and the month of September BUT NOT A SPECIFIC DAY. THen u will see all the available ferries. i thnk there are only 3 a week. October schedules aren't out yet.

There's a daily hydrofoil from Patmos to Samos until early october -- that is almost the only way to 'hop' from the Dodecanese chain to the N.E. Aegean group.

Melbourne
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chios - Samos connection

Hi, yes I know very well how the Greek ferry system works I am Greek and have been going back every 2nd year to visit. This is my first Dodecannese/North Aegean "hop" (as you put it so well - LOL) and really just need to know WHOM and HOW rather than WHEN ... that is why I referred September/October because I have no specific dates in mind and would rather be fully flexible to the 'adhoc' timetables as I find them when I am there! :-) So, if a local has any idea about inter Patmos-Chios or Patmos-Lesvos option(s) then these would be appreciated (even if they can not knuckle down on a timetable).

Melbourne
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Chios - Samos connection

Sorry, in answer to your other question. I start 'island hopping' September 6 in Rhodes and plan to follow a Rhodes-Symi-Patmos-Chios route ... the length of stay will be subject to "timetables" and also personal enjoyment. Chios is my main island of stay, where I plan to stay for over a week (or more) and then fly to Ionians by late September/early October. So, the Patmos-Chios hop is probably middle September to even just before mid.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,928 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chios - Samos connection

Visit:

http://www.openseas.gr/OPENSEAS/index_el.vm

Just on a check i made:

A Patmos -> Samos is possible daily at 5pm on hydrofoil. Trip is 60 minutes and gets you to Pythagorion port in Samos. Check "PATMOS" and "PYTHAGOREIO-SAMOS".

A Samos -> Chios is possible 3 times a week like this:

Tuesdays: Karlovasi ( 4:45pm ) -> Chios ( 7:45 pm )

Thursdays: Vathi ( 2:00pm ) -> Chios ( 5:30pm )

Sundays: Vathi ( 9:00am ) -> Chios ( 12:30pm )

Company is Saos Anes. Both Karlovasi and Vathis are ports on Samos island ( NW and NE on it ). I would check locally this one, since on-line booking does not seem possible in their site. Route is operating till Oct 31st.

Saos Anes site is:

http://www.saos.gr/

unfortunately in Greek only.

Open seas is both in English and Greek.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chios - Samos connection

Nick has certainly given you some options Vicki -- enjoy!

And if u are in Samos for a day or two, you may stay in Pythagoras, which is a beach town very full of package tour folks in high-season, but really winding down by September, tavernas closed etc.

If you prefer Vathy, I really like a family-run budget hotel on the water just about 200 yards left of the quay (it's opposite the hospital gates). Hotel Pythagoras -- balconies on the bay, 25E per double off-season (google it & e-mail direct). Stelios & his wife are SO nice. And there's a cute mini-beach visible from the balcony for a quick dip, and a SUPERB authentic restaurant next door with tables at waterside for stunning sunset.

Other Vathy plusses:(1)best small museum in N.E. Aegean with LARGEST Kouros in WORLD. (2) Ano Vathy, fab views over rooftops, cypresses & bay reminscent of Italian Lake Como views... and u can walk dirt roads w.o. cars, no sounds except farmyard chirps & brays.

Chios will be wonderful; I'd like a week there myself.

Get answers to your questions about Chios
Recent Conversations