We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week on Chios

Which Chios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
A week on Chios

I'm heading to Chios for a week in September (I spent a couple nights there a few years ago and found it wasn't nearly enough time to enjoy the island).

A couple questions:

Any mastic related activities that we can experience - and any guides who might be able to show us around?

Have not decided on a base yet but am leaning towards Emporios, and maybe spending a couple nights in Mesta (I haven't found any places to stay in Pyrgi). Google Maps shows that the north isn't that far away, so is there any need to look into staying in Volissos or another town towards the north? We'll be traveling by scooter, so spending a few hours on the road every day will be fun.

How is the public transportation? We'll be renting the bikes in Chios Town, but still have to find some way to get our luggage and wives to wherever we end up staying.

Bath
Level Contributor
502 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week on Chios

google agritourism in chios..a website with info of activities.In Pyrgi there is a lady who rents rooms called Rita.They are simple and very traditional, a different cultural experience.We stayed there before kids in 1989 and it was a wonderful place to stop a while...we then returned with our kids in 2001 and she greeted us as old friends..and we ended up staying again! We found her in the corner shop!!but ask on the square, or there is a potential phone number 0030 2271072112.Sitting on the square until 2am with many priests and locals is something I will never forget! Nice base and ideal with a moped. Mesta nice to stay too though, and Komi/Emborio pretty places.Buses are very reliable and cheap, and are frequent in high season...the other times we have visited we used buses all the time.Maybe combine a stay by the beach in the North with a village stay in the south.Have a great time!

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week on Chios

Thanks for your response. I'm not really a beach person, but I liked the feel of Emborio when I went through it. It felt more like a village on the water than a resort. It also seems like most of the major attractions are in the South - is there much of interest other than beautiful scenery in the north?

Maryland
Level Contributor
561 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week on Chios

Chios is a large island, I think the third largest in Greece, so distances on the map can be deceptive. In 2011, we stayed in the Kambos area and drove up (with a car) to the northwestern tip of Chios to visit the Agio Galas caves (very interesting). It took about 2 hours to get there from Kambos because the roads wind through the mountains. If you have the time, it's worth visiting because the northern part of the island is completely different from the Mastica area (feels like you are on another island altogether!) and also very beautiful. Make sure to check the open days for the Agio Galas caves because, even in July, they are not open every day. You can also drive through Volissos, another interesting village, on the way up north. If your schedule is tight, however, I would stick to the central and southern parts of Chios.

Emporio is a good place to stay; most of the Greeks rent in this area when visiting Chios. From Emporio, you can easily get to Pyrgi, Mesta and Olympi. I don't think you need a guide for these villages - just pick up a good guide book on Chios (available in Hora, the main Chios port town) to learn about the history.

We did not find the bus system to be very accommodating for touring around on a tight schedule; they are mostly geared for the locals to get to and from work.

I just wrote some recommendations for Chios on this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189476-i2411-k647…

Have a great trip!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
537 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week on Chios

I've stayed in both Pyrgi and Mesta on different trips - both times in traditional houses. We just turned up in the respective village squares and asked in one of the restaurants (both times were high season) and struck lucky. Emborio is a nice little place - we enjoyed going there in the evening to eat. We had a car, and I liked the freedom it gave us to travel around at will.

Scroll down to "Mastic & Medieval" to read about the mastichoria: http://vernacularvernacular.blogspot.hk/

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week on Chios

A belated thanks for the additional replies - I was in Crete when they were posted and I just now got back to the forum.

I've found what looks like an interesting place to stay in Pyrgi for 4 nights - To Pounti. I'm still looking for a place to spend the first couple nights - I still don't know what the ferry schedule will be in Sept, and it seems that we might have to take a boat that gets in around 11 PM, unless we fly from Lesbos.

Moffat Beach
Level Contributor
290 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week on Chios

Wow To Pyrgi looks fabulous! I wish we were coming too!

Thinking of next May at the moment although Tom would be off again tomorrow if he could...

Moffat Beach
Level Contributor
290 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A week on Chios

sorry To Pounti in Pyrgi... duh!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A week on Chios

Just back from our trip which included 5 days on Chios. What a trip - what an island !

Having family there is always a bonus but regardless it really was the highlight of our trip.

We stayed in Karfas and rented a soft top Suzuki to zip around the Island. Lunch in Emporios one day will remain one of the best meals we have probably ever had - I can understand the appeal of staying there although Karfas was perfect for us.

I will post a trip report and reviews when I get a spare day or two but I agree with the comment about distances being deceiving - we probably only saw about 1/3 of the island as yes the roads are windy and can be narrow and steep. Don't underestimate how long it will take to get around.

Next time we will need at least 2 weeks !

9. Re: A week on Chios

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2014, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Chios