We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which location/s to stay

Italy
Level Contributor
283 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Which location/s to stay

Hi everybody,

it's planning time :-) As Greek lover this year I decided to visit Chios since different people suggested as no traditional destination for Greece (in Italy none of the most known travel agencies, has it in their catalog). I already booked the flights so it will be ten days in middle July. Do you think that the island will be packed with tourists at that time ? I didn't decided yet my hotel stay because I'm not sure what is better: one location only, let's say near or fChora and then drive up&down or split my stay in to different locations? I mean stay five days in one northern location and the other five in a more southern place? What do you think is better? For me driving is not a problem but I'd not spend hours in a car. I like swimming, historic places, and cities but not too crowded/noisy. I'll be a solo traveller.

Any suggestion is really appreciated.

Thanks.

Gigi

Maryland
Level Contributor
561 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which location/s to stay

We've been to Chios twice in recent years, 2010 and 2011, and absolutely love this island! We're returning to Greece this June and our daughters, who are traveling with us, want to explore Crete and the Cyclades this trip. However, I'm now have serious second-thoughts about not returning to Chios again.

Chios is stunningly beautiful and completely unique; it's a fascinating island with a rich and often dark history dating back to the Neolithic period. It's a large island and the different regions have a completely different terrain and feel: the northern part is mountainous while the south has the Mastica and medieval villages of Pyrgi, Mesta and Olympi. This is the place to go if you’re into Byzantine and medieval history! Even in July and August, we were hard pressed to find many other tourists, maybe a few Scandinavians. The most touristy area of Chios is Karfas because of the soft, white sand beach; however this is still a frontier outpost compared to the more popular Cyclades islands. The beautiful beaches along the west coast (mostly pebble beaches) are almost deserted even in 'high' season - you can have the beach to yourself. However, many Greeks travel to Chios in July and especially August so be sure to book ferries and flights in advance. In early August 2011, we made the mistake of waiting to reserve our ferry from Piraeus to Chios and had to use the plastic chairs on the top deck for the 7-hour journey.

In terms of where to stay, I would suggest the central or southern part of the island since this is where most of the sites are. If you like the beach, there's Karfas which is more touristy but is one of the few beaches with white sand as I mentioned above; it has several decent tavernas on the beach and is close to Hora (the main port town of Chios) where there are many restaurants and shops. While in Hora, make sure to find the little shop near the central square that makes the loukoumades (freshly fried donuts drizzled in honey or chocolate) - so delicious (!) you'll be back for more!

Most of the Greeks like to stay in the Emporio area on the South coast. It's next to the Mavra Voila beach which has small black pebbles and an ink-black, crystal clear sea. Make sure to bring sea/pool shoes and a mat because the pebbles can get hot to walk or lie on (although some people use them as a form of therapy I've heard). There are many rooms and small apartments to rent in Emporio and Komi, as well as several good tavernas in this area. Emporio is very close to the medieval villages of Pyrgi/Mesta/Olympi which have fascinating histories.

If you don't want to be at the beach, you could look into the Kambos area in the central region. This is where the oranges groves (perivoli) and the unique stone mansions are located. There are several rooms available to rent in Kambos (some are quite beautiful but pricey!) and one of our favorite restaurants, Roussiko, is near here.

I personally would based myself in one location rather than changing hotels (again, this is a personal choice). It's a large island but with a car (highly recommended for Chios), you can easily get to most central and southern parts of Chios. The roads are very good and the signs are in both Greek and English. If you decide to drive up to the northwestern tip of Chios (e.g., to visit the caves in Aghio Galas which are very interesting), it will take about 2 hours each way because of the winding moutainous roads; be sure to stop at the village of Vollisos along the way. Also, check the open times in advance for the caves since they are not open every day.

Since you have 10 days, you will be able to see most of the island. There are some interesting sites in the central part of Chios including the Byzantine monastery of Nea Moni from the 11th century and the ruins of the ancient village, Anavatos, built high on the cliffs of the west coast. Nea Moni has a dark history and contains the skulls of Chians massacred by the Turks in 1822. In the afternoons, you can visit the white pebble beach in the Bay of Elinda along the west coast (Elinda is a beautiful beach located in a secluded cove with a turquoise, crystal clear sea) or visit the beach at Lithi (just as spectacular!). Be aware that the sea along the western coast is cooler than at Karfas, and certainly much colder than the southern Greek islands! The entire western coastline of Chios is stunningly beautiful and is dotted by a line of vigles (watchtowers) that warned the inhabitants of pirate attacks in medieval days.

You can also drive up to the picturesque waterfront town of Legada in the northeast and have dinner at one of the local tavernas there. From Legada, you can see the small island of Inousses (also part of Chios) where the wealthy ship owners have their summer houses.

Have a great trip!

Italy
Level Contributor
283 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which location/s to stay

Wow! Really thanks for your detailed answer. I will take care of all your suggestions and I'll give you all a feedback after vacations: hope the next two months will run quickly!!! Ciao :-) Gigi.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which location/s to stay

Gigi, Lam has given you the most wonderful review of Chios that I have read in a long time and I totally agree with everything said. You will LOVE this island. We certainly did and plan to return since it is one of my favourites. If it were my choice, with 10 glorious days, I would split the holiday up with some time in the north and some time in the south. Both are incredible and you would spend less time travelling the isle with more time to explore each area. I am feeling very envious right now..... have a wonderful trip and please pleasure me with a trip report!!! I would love to hear about every wonderful moment.

Karen

Italy
Level Contributor
283 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which location/s to stay

I Karen thanks for sharing your opinion. I will take into consideration too and I will share my trip when I return :-)

Ciao

Gigi

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which location/s to stay

Great wealth of info...thank you!

Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which location/s to stay

LAM1001 Thank-you for such an amazing description of the Island ! We will be in Chios the month of July and I too will follow some of the ideas you have suggested. I have never visited Legada so I am looking forward this summer. Gigi we have a home in Lithi, the beaches are amazing ! Very relaxing and the seafood is excellent , so this is worth the drive for sure. I am also going to check out a group in Mesta doing Eco Tourism this year. They offer a really unique perspective on the Mastic culture from the southern part of the Island. Enjoy your trip.

rdv
Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
342 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which location/s to stay

Has any one visited Katarraktis or the surrounding area ? We have yet to visit Chios and this location does not appear to get mentioned

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which location/s to stay

Rdv - a few weeks ago I was in Chios and stayed in Megas Limnionas which is not far from Kataraktis. It's a good area. It still qualifies as central so easy enough to get around to all parts of the island. I didn't go into Kataraktis itself so can't say anything on that.

Edited: 06 May 2015, 15:55
rdv
Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
342 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which location/s to stay

Thanks Xaroula,

I'm actually looking at next years holiday for us and Chios is an island we have not visited. Its Milos and Andros this year. The weather here is unpleasant at the moment so Greek holiday research is a good way of spending some time !

10. Re: Which location/s to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2016, 09:18
Get answers to your questions about Chios
Recent Conversations