We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving distances, times on Lesvos

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
348 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
driving distances, times on Lesvos

Hi,

I am trying to figure out my hotel reservations and how many days I need a car and was wondering if any locals can give me an idea of driving times for these routes?

Mytilini to Thermi

Thermi to Molivos

Vatera to Mytilini

Skala Eressos to Vatera

Skala Eressos to Molivos

Thermi to Skala Eressos

Just trying to figure out if I should stay in 3 places and take some daytrips, or what. I think I will use my day driving to the next place as a "trip" and see, do, stop alot along the way. But I still cannot figure out the driving times, because I know the roads are not all fast roads, the distance alone by the map isn't enough information.

Also, how much does gas for the car cost in Greece?

I've been having a difficult time getting the 2 travel agents I've contacted by email to answer questions. Or even write me back. Maybe they are on vacation this time of year.

Basically, I am planning at this point to start with 3 days in Thermi in a little house right on the sea. Then move to Skala Eressos for 5 days, then to Vatera for another 4 days, with 2 days for driving inbetweeen these spots. I really want to RELAX and not move alot, so this seems the minimal to experience the best areas of the island.

Any information would be helpful. THanks!

:)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving distances, times on Lesvos

Would contact nirvanat@otenet.gr with anything regarding Lesbos..they will get back to you and Rebecca who owns and runs it lives on the isle and knows it inside/out...she found us a lovely apt for a month at Petra a number of years back and her suggestions and expertise while there were invaluable...Happy planning and Enjoy!

Greece
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: driving distances, times on Lesvos

Hi there Twirlgirlpdx,

I live on Lesvos and can tell you as follows:

Mytilini to Thermi - from the airport (10 mins out of centre) to Thermi will take you no more than half an hour.

Thermi to Molyvos will take you no more than 45 minutes.

Vatera to Mytilini (depending on route) will take you about 1hr 20.

Skala Eressos to Vatera, again about 1 hr 20.

Skala Eressos to Molyvos, no more than 1 hr 10.

Thermi to Skala Eressos, 1 hr 30.

Petrol at the moment is about 95 cents a litre.

Have you tried Sappho Travel in Eressos - Joanna is extremely helpful. I'm sure she could help with your itinerary.

I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time when you're here, maybe see you around.

Patrick

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving distances, times on Lesvos

Patrick, that is so helpful! Thanks for the great info.

I did email Joanna 2 times to inquire and have not gotten any response. I used one address I got from Matt Barrett and then also filled out an inquiry form through the website. Any other ideas on how to reach her?

Do you think driving at night is safe on Lesvos...I am not a scaredy-cat, but I have read Greeek drivers are crazy. I assume many roads do not have lights at night. I guess wondering about driving back to Skala Eressos from Molyvos at night after dinner?

thanks for all the good information!

:=)

Greece
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: driving distances, times on Lesvos

Hi there

I will see Joanna later and will ask her to reply to you. If she cannot find your original queries, I will ask her to post a reply here.

Regarding driving in Greece, Lesvos compares favourably with Crete, for example, in terms of driver care and speed, although the roads are of variable quality, but certainly not terrible. However, the road from Molyvos to Skala Eressos has quite a few twists and turns. Of course it's do-able, but I would allow an extra 20 minutes. I would suggest going for lunch not dinner, actually!

Nice villages with good places to eat at a shorter distance, albeit still with a few snakes in the road, are Mesotopos (with its "summer village" on the shore Tavari) about 15 mins away, Antissa (a mountain village with lovely square, relatively few tourists) about 20 mins away, and Sigri (well known for its seafood) around the coast, about 25 mins away.

Cheers for now

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,780 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving distances, times on Lesvos

Hello Patrick and welcome in the forum!

These are very very helpful :)

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving distances, times on Lesvos

Patrick,

WOW, how very nice and helpful you are! I cannot thank-you enough! Really good information and details, plus a connect with Joanna is wonderful.

I have been doing alot of research on-line about hotels and think I would like to stay at the Mascot in Skala Eressos and The Madonna Studios in Vatera. Still debating if I want 1 night in Molyvos or just a day-trip there. The pictures I have seen of the harbor at night are really lovely.

thanks again :)

cheers!

Greece
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: driving distances, times on Lesvos

Hi there

Joanna was out of the office on Monday and I have just returned from Athens after a couple of days there. I will probably see her tomorrow.

Can't speak for the Mascot Hotel - I trust that you have read the descriptions available online - sounds very nice, but I was not here last year so don't have any first hand accounts to pass on.

Cheers for now

Patrick

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving distances, times on Lesvos

Patrick,

Thanks for checking in. I am excited and anxious to connect with Joanna and get some of my reservations in place...it's less than 8 weeks now until I am there!

You can let her know i will need help with ferry tickets, car rental and hotels.

she can reach me at msmacintyre at yahoo dot com

thank-you again, so much!

Greece
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: driving distances, times on Lesvos

Hi again

When exactly are you coming to Greece? You say in 8 weeks time.... is that slightly after Easter?

I'm sure Joanna will give you the help you need, but April is just about the start of "the season" (if Easter wasn't so early, you may have had less options to consider!). Let me know the dates, though, as this will help Joanna (which accommodations are open, the ferry schedules, car rental prices).

Might be a bit chilly in the evenings around these parts still at that time of the year, so bring a sweater or three!

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving distances, times on Lesvos

Hi Patrick,

I will be on Lesvos April 11-22, then after 3 days in Athens. I know there will be less choice, but I figured also less crowds (maybe none!) and also the places open for eating out will be the ones the locals use, as I am not interested in the touristy type places. From what I have read, the only tourists on Lesvos in April are birdwatchers!

Since I don't sunbathe, and I like hiking, I am hoping the temps will be mild. I don't mind a cool evening. I have been watching the weather there and it seems on par with ours here in Oregon. I'll bring clothes to layer, for sure. And if it gets really cold, I have an excuse to buy a sweater!

One of my questions for Joanna (or you) is what will be open. I would like to visit the mineral baths and a couple of museums. But mostly, I am coming to soak in the natural beauty of the landscape/sea and to get very far away from my too busy life.

I love a deserted beach more than anything in the world, so early season was an automatic choice...

I look forward to hearing from Joanna.

cheers :)

Get answers to your questions about Lesbos
Recent Conversations