We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel suggestion

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
hotel suggestion

Are going for 1 week the first week in July. We are in debate about the island to visit and are thinking Lesvos right now.

We are looking for a relaxed vacation to celebrate our anniversary to enjoy the scenery and mostly each other. However, we do like to party/drink and would like to experience true a Greek evening with Ouzo and dancing. Would like to visit at most 2 islands as our honeymoon was too much moving around.

Should we continue to plan the trip to Lesvos or lookin into 1 (or 2) islands closer to Athens? If we continue with Lesvos, we would like to explore the whole island, so is it better to stay in 1 hotel and drive around from there or split the week into 2 different locations? Hotel suggestions for max 80euros a night are welcome!

What is the best way to get to/from Lesvos?

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel suggestion

I am going to Lesvos for 2 weeks this month and really fell in love with the island from reading Matt Barrett's site. Here is the link...it will answer all your questions and more.

Have a wonderful honeymoon, wherever you land!

http://www.lesvos.com/

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel suggestion

try to stay in molyvos for few days

hotel delphinia is nice

and also there is an old olive pressure converted to a hotel which is really nice

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel suggestion

You really can't go wrong anywhere in the Greek Islands, but Lesvos is one of the most interesting, beautiful and varied that I've visited.

Whether to split our time between two locations on the island depends on how you like to spend your day. I tend to get an early start, and I was able to drive from Molyvos to any other part of the island, spend some time at various sites en route, have lunch at one of the beach towns or a mountain village, and get back to my hotel by late afternoon to relax on my balcony and read for a while before heading over to Molly's Bar for a drink. It usually involved about 4 or 5 hours behind the wheel; if you prefer to drive less, then it makes sense to stay in two different towns.

I also recommend Molyvos; I had high expectations before getting there, and the town exceeded them. I'd planned to spend three nights, and ended up staying for five. There seemed to be several nice hotels there; I stayed at the Sea Horse and it was great. Right on the harbor, a few steps to Molly's Bar (which can be very convenient) and in the middle of some very good restaurants - Captain's Table and Once Upon a Time in Molyvos were both excellent.

You can either fly or take a ferry; if the latter, you could just go directly from the airport to Piraeus for the evening sailing. The cabins are comfortable, the food is surprisingly decent, and you get into Mytilene in the morning. Whomever you rent your car from will be at the port to meet you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel suggestion

Your thinking sounds pretty good to me.

My partner also got hooked by Matt Barrett's website and (she) decided to try Lesbos / Lesvos. One of her better ones. We're back again in June and September this year and that will be visits No.6 and 7.

Normally we stay in Petra but this coming September we will be at the Sea Horse in the Harbour at Molyvos. See photo. Petra or Molyvos would be a good base for either half or most of your time on the island. The Sea Horse might be a very good base if they have rooms. Brilliant people. The harbour area is great. I can get you contact details if you can't find them. If you stay there do get the boat (or drive) to Skala Sikiminias one day. See photo.

Don't just think Hotels. There are so many wonderful restaurants on Lesvos you do not want to tie yourself down to a possibly mediocre hotel dining room. We spent a couple of nights in the Nassos Guest House in Molyvos last year and loved it. The sign on the door says 'Come in and pick a room and pay us in the morning'! There are plenty of other places to stay though. One of the best bets might be through the Women's Co-operative in Petra. The women there have many rooms or even little cottages to let at very reasonable rates.

The SW of the island is a different world. The year before we took the bus down to Skala Eressos in the SW and just wondered around until we found a room we liked. That early in the season you could just turn up and get a room for no more than 25 euros a night. You would probably love it there (see photo) and you'd probably also end up dancing on tables late into the night. (FAR better than going on one of the advertised 'Greek Nights' for tourists.) Sigri further west is even more remote but lovely. You might need to find yourself a room instead of just turning up there though. We've never stayed there and don't know.

It is a big island to explore. We don't drive but I recommend you quickly get yourself the following book:

Anderson, Brian & Eileen

LESVOS; Car Tours and Walks.

Pub: Sunflower Landscapes (UK) / Hunter Publishing (USA)

It is pretty new and seems accurate to us.

We always fly in from the UK but there are plenty of flights from Athens. Lots of people pick up their hire cars at the airport. Someone else would have to advise you on ferries.

If you do go, have fun. Lesvos a fantastic place.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel suggestion

Sorry about missing pictures. No idea how to post them!

6. Re: hotel suggestion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 23:19