We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why have the holiday costs risen so much?

Birmingham
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Why have the holiday costs risen so much?

In October I booked by internet a SC holiday for two people in Petra for a basic price of £776 (no flight meals or extra luggage etc). Yesterday I tried to book the exact same holiday for friends only to find the price has risen to £1066, which I think equates to a 37% increase

I am flying out on September 25th for the last 2 weeks of the season – which is usually cheaper as some of the tavernas have closed down for the winter. As we are in a recession why have the holiday prices been hiked to this extent? Are the holiday companies trying to price Lesvos out of the market or is this a ploy enabling them to reduce the price in a future sale to make it look like a bargain?

Any thoughts are welcome as Lesvos tourism needs as much help as it can get.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why have the holiday costs risen so much?

Could it be that you booked in in mid-September, when the pound was quite strong against the euro?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why have the holiday costs risen so much?

Hi there

Just to clarify, when you say that "you booked the exact same holiday for friends", was that for September as well?

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why have the holiday costs risen so much?

Oh, sorry, I see that you booked in October. Back then the pound was not very strong. Maybe there was a special offer or some cheap seats available then?

Edited: 08 December 2009, 17:15
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why have the holiday costs risen so much?

Maybe the prices didn't go up, so much as you were on a deal for booking nearly a year in advance and the prices had gone down?. Now prices have gone back up to 'normal as everyone is starting to book their holidays. The pound/euro ratio has not changed by 30+% in either direction over the past few months so thats not it.

I am sure if they dont sell enough seats between now and say early Aug, they will reduce prices again, its a gamble you'll have to take, if there are any left. The companies are in business to make money for themselves, not give Brits with a cr*p currency bargain basement holidays at a cost that makes them go bust (though you might think otherwise after their behaviour over the past few years) . And "we" might be in a recession (UK) but its not affecting Euroland to the same extent,and of course even in a recession the Dutch or German (etc) Euro buys the same amount in Lesbos it did a year ago, unlike the British Pound.

London
Level Contributor
447 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why have the holiday costs risen so much?

Just checked our 2010 holiday (to Thassos, with Thomson) again today and the price has dropped by £60 per person since yesterday! That's for the end of June, 2 weeks self-catering from Gatwick - maybe they are hoping people might be looking to do a pre-Christmas booking with Christmas Club payouts perhaps??????

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Why have the holiday costs risen so much?

The packagers often like to get some quick cash in hand in order to cover their advertising or other beginning of the season expenses. There is one other possibility - in the interim, those remaining package holiday vendors may have begun their negotiations for 2010. Fewer vendors means less competition and less competition means that the hotel operators aren't so pressured on rates. They might not be so willing to cut their prices to the bone this year. As was mentioned, the prices may go down again late in the season, but that's a real gamble.

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Why have the holiday costs risen so much?

The tour companies don't get a lot of up-front cash on early sales - just a deposit with the balance due 10 weeks before departure. The only time you'll pay full price on booking is flight only. Early bookings help them to make decisions when they come to consolidate the number of holidays they plan to offer, though. They'll do this in the early part of next year, I believe.

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Fiscardo
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why have the holiday costs risen so much?

Hi,

We had a similar experience in October looking online for a holiday to Lesbos or Parga for September 2010. In the space of a few days the prices rose considerably.

I think its just a case of supply and demand - we were told (but I dont know how true it is) that online prices can vary according to the number of 'hits' the destination/accommodation has!!

Wolverhampton
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why have the holiday costs risen so much?

Its all TOTALLY hit and miss! I was told that prices for flights on Ryanair (thats just an example) are modified up to FIFTEEN times a day! Also it often depends on the search you use. I booked a week in Kos next August with Thomas Cook searching through "all greek islands" and "flexible on date" and got one price and then searched for Kos for that specific week still with Thomas Cook and got a price of over £100 higher ! I KID YOU NOT ! Try allsorts and all ways when booking. We also booked Lesvos for 2 weeks in May cheaper over the phone than over the internet. Rand up TC and said the internet had gone down and they took the booking over the phone and as I say it was cheaper.

Eftalou, Greece
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Why have the holiday costs risen so much?

The internet is not always the best option for booking a holiday.

The best advice is to shop around.

Try your local travel agent, they are always keen to get your booking. Often they will match prices you have been quoted and offer incentives for booking with them.

Saying that the flights in September from the UK are always full, as we have allot of regular visitors and there are less flights than there used to be from the UK.

Get answers to your questions about Lesbos
Recent Conversations