We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort is Quiet,Traditional Greek with nice beach ????

London, United...
Level Contributor
451 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which resort is Quiet,Traditional Greek with nice beach ????

Hi,

As you will see from my previous posts I'm doing some research into lesvos for next years holiday in Jne/July can anyone advise which they think is the best resort with a nice beach, quiet and traditionally greek...

Cheers

London, United...
Level Contributor
451 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort is Quiet,Traditional Greek with nice beach ????

I've had no replies yet but done loads of research and narrowed down to Skala kalloni or Petra - which is most traditional or are there better resorts than this.....

Any info no matter how small greatlt appreciated.

cheers

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,774 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which resort is Quiet,Traditional Greek with nice beach ????

In June/July anywhere that can be described as a "resort" is not going to be ultra quiet. Lesvos is a popular destination with Greeks, although their main holidays I believe are July/August. Are you looking for a package deal or travelling independent? If the latter look at the south of the island - Plomari, with nearby Agios Isidoros which has a beaut beach (altho' I am not a beach person so not well qualified to assess!) is a very Greek town. Nearby Melinda is a lovely quiet end of the road place - pebbly beach, beachside tavernas/rooms. You might also consider Sigri - if prepared to explore beyind the town you will find Faneromeni Beach - long & sandy.

Otherwise base youself in a resort, hire a car & go explore. Tthere are unsurfaced roads accessible by ordinary car leading off to isolated small beaches, where you might be the only people around. Get the Road Editions map of the island & make voyages of discovery.

Petra is a UK package destination - it is a nice town, but I find it touristy even in early May. Skala Kalloni is again not my idea of trad Greece (but I am VERY particular) - but it is a good base, with the advantage of a central postion on the island.

All over Lesvos you will discover a very laid-back Greek community - little of the islands overall income is derived from tourism; they just do not need us so they do not generally pander to the visitors. You will find friendly locals, happy to talk to you, & wonderful food everywhere - especially away from the hot spots, but even Molyvos & Petra have excellent tavernas to suit all pockets & tastes.

Waterlooville...
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which resort is Quiet,Traditional Greek with nice beach ????

How about Skala Eressos? We went there in May having previously stayed in Petra, which, as another reply says, is touristy and quite busy. Skala Eressos has a lovely long beach and a small village. Places to eat or have a drink are built out over the beach. Very sleepy in the afternoon. Very villagey. A car is quite a bonus though as it is very isolated. Have also read that Vatera is nice. Sounds like a similar place but could be wrong.

Merseyside
Level Contributor
229 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which resort is Quiet,Traditional Greek with nice beach ????

Hi,

All good advice here.Although we enjoy Petra we prefer to stay in Anaxos because it really is so quiet with a great stretch of beach,Ok bit shingly but still lovely.There is just enough choice of tavernas scattered around the village and along the beach front,2 small supermarkets and a bakery.If we crave something a little more lively then we walk into Petra(about 40 mins stroll) and taxi back.For us its the best of both worlds.We are going back to Anaxos in August after not having been for 4 years,maybe things have changed and the lovely folk on here will let me know if thats the case.xx

London, United...
Level Contributor
451 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which resort is Quiet,Traditional Greek with nice beach ????

Hi L.Mansfield

Thankyou for the information it sounds just what we looking for. I have been looking a slala kalloni have you been there and if so what did you think/

Have you any recommendations for places to stay in Anaxos please. I understand that the island is very cheap to eat & drink compared to other greek islands is that true? We have just been to Skiathos and it was very reasonable infact the taverna prices hadnt changed from when we were there 2 years ago but the supermarket prices were through the roof!!!

Any info greatly appreciated

Cheers

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
254 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which resort is Quiet,Traditional Greek with nice beach ????

Hi

look at my previous posts regarding hotels in Anaxos. Two of the best we've stayed in in Greece. The Nautilus and The Plaza Palace.

Cheers Jack

Wolverhampton
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which resort is Quiet,Traditional Greek with nice beach ????

Hi L.Mansfield,

Very little has changed other than a few places have "spruced up" with the EU grants from a few years ago. Sarandos on the main street is unrecognisable frok when we first went 6 years ago! Very nice though !

Cheers

Merseyside
Level Contributor
229 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which resort is Quiet,Traditional Greek with nice beach ????

Hi all,

Thanks for that truth,glad not too much changed then.Maysol,we visited Skala kalloni but to be honest cant recall it enough to give an opinion.We had car last time and went to so many places.The island is lovely but I know that we did say we were glad we had chosen to stay in Anaxos.This time we are just chilling by the pool ,reading,cool glass of mythos and nice food in evening.I always tell folk to go up Anaxos hill for the most memorable sunset I have ever witnessed.Since we were there the Plaza palace has been up and running and gets great reviews.To be honest we just take the best deal.A bed,shower of some sort and loo is all I need and have never been dissapionted.Anything else I can think of I'll let you know.xxLes.

Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which resort is Quiet,Traditional Greek with nice beach ????

I don't really know because I haven't been yet, but I'm opting for Skala Kalloni as quiet and traditional Greek with a nice SANDY beach. In two weeks we'll be there so afterward I'll be able to speak with an expert's opinion.

Everything I've read so these past few months on the forum gives me the idea that Anaxos, Petra, and Molivos are little more than very touristy British package deal resorts that cater to the "pub" atmosphere that Brits like - loud music, free flowing beer, and crunchy fish and chips. Hey, I know I'm exaggerating, but if the OP is searching for something more traditional Greek, then Skala Kalloni may be more to his/her liking.

Merseyside
Level Contributor
229 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which resort is Quiet,Traditional Greek with nice beach ????

HI,

I dont wish to offend or be rude but that sort of "Brit Holiday" would be my idea of hell!!!Please dont be put off by these silly and assumptive comments.Anaxos is dirt tracks,figs growing by the wayside and wafts of kleftico cooking slowly from early in the morning.The most noise at night is that of crickets.We dont do the "Brit " thing at home so certainly wouldnt want it on holiday.We are both in our mid 50's and go with my son,his wife and her mum.Our evenings are nice food,the closest you will find to fish n chips is beautifully baked fresh fish and potatoes,local wine and beer...none of that we sell guiness etc.Bread is fresh in the bakery...no" we sell Warburtons".We then like most others sit outside our accomodation with a candle flickering,a nice bottle of wine and some olives and play cards or do the quizes which we all prepare at home weeks before.I just want to give an insight that we are not some sort of larger lout family who dont know what a quiet holiday is .We went to santorini last year and hated it.Restaurants touting for custom,tat shops,beaches of pretty people in designer costumes...that too was hell for us but would suit others.I wouldnt describe a place I have been to as quiet and lovely if it wasnt.thank you.

Edited: 21 July 2010, 09:44