We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timers - Which resort????????????????

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
766 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
1st timers - Which resort????????????????

Hi,

I wonder if any of you Lesbos lovers can advise me on which resort to go to for our next years holiday? I have seen a nice hotel in Anaxos the Plaza Palace but I have read that Anaxos is a purpose built resort, which slightly puts me off. I am imagining a resort full of brits and fried english breakfasts??? I'm sure it's nothing like this but I need some reasurance before booking. I have also looked at Petra, which appeals to me. We are a couple that are easily pleased in Greece, we love everything about it. We're just after a clean hotel preferably with a pool, in a resort with enough tavernas and a few bars and shops to enjoy. We will probably have a car for part of the holiday and will also enjoy using the local buses. To give you a better idea of what we like we loved Parga, Skiathos/Skopelos, Thassos, Skala in Kefalonia and Halkidiki.

I hope some of you will share your knowledge, many thanks,

Michaela

Molyvos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
605 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st timers - Which resort????????????????

The first place that you listed as 'loved' was Parga. We also loved Parga and have ended up living in Molyvos, because we loved it even more.

Similarities include:

Castle on a hill

Great harbour

pretty back streets

wonderful atmospher

If you want a pool there are many places to choose and Molyvos has many wonderful Tavernas. Just look at the reviews on TA for a start, plus there are many more. There are shops along the very pretty cobbled street that climbs towards the Castle and a few bars with different atmosphers to suit all.

So I guess I'm suggesting Molyvos.

Rob & Carol

PS Don't forget to hire a car. Lesvos is so big and so diverse, you should explore a little or a lot as the fancy takes you.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st timers - Which resort????????????????

Well as a first timer to Lesvos this year, I would say that our stay at the Eryphlli was better than we had hoped for.

It has a bus stop outside and is 30mins walk from the harbour.

A great place to stay and the family are lovely.!!! :O) :O)

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

holidays-uncovered.co.uk/greece/lesbos/molyv…

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
871 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st timers - Which resort????????????????

Hi

I am speaking up for Petra! There aren't actually many places with pools unless on the outskirts. However the Blue Sky Hotel is central and has good reviews. Although we stayed at the Niki's seafront which doesn't have a pool they welcome visitors at the Blue Sky so long as you buy a drink at the bar so we had a couple of days there. The lunches are nice as well.

Read my recent trip report to find out more about Petra.

We only visited Anaxos a couple of times so I am no expert but it seemed to be a bit spread out to me and of course no footpaths.

BTW we also loved Parga and Thassos and have been to Skala and Halkidiki. It's a wonder we don't all keep bumping into each other!

Cheers, Jean

Naas, Ireland
Level Contributor
176 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st timers - Which resort????????????????

I would recommend Molyvos and if you go there to stay at the Eriphilly.

It's a little oasis of calm not too far from Molyvos centre.

I'm not aware which tour operator will be featuring it next year as First Choice are now concentrating on AI hotels.

You can book directly with the Eriphilliy and organise your own flights which is what we are doing for next year.

Edited: 25 June 2011, 19:39
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
766 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st timers - Which resort????????????????

Thank you all for your replies and recommendations. I will do further research on Molyvos, if like you say it's similiar to Parga than we'll love it. After reading recent posts on TA it seems that Thomson are no longer going to Lesvos does this mean if we don't book early we'll miss our opportunity? I have only seen Lesvos availability with Thomas Cook and Olympic don't seem to be showing 2012 prices yet.

Thanks again,

Michaela

Molyvos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
605 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st timers - Which resort????????????????

I would book early.

You will love it.

Rob & Carol

Leeds
Level Contributor
46 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st timers - Which resort????????????????

I would firmly recommend Petra- it gives you the best of all worlds - easy access to Annaxos and Molyvos but is also special in its own right. Plenty of bars, restaurants and yet quiet enough to be relaxing with wonderful views from the church on the rock. We are about to re-visit for the 7th time and can recommend Nikki's - Michaels as a great place to stay. It might be away from the front but has its own pool and restaurant with excellent food, good company and a brilliant atmosphere.

I guess that where ever you end up on Lesvos you will have a fantastic holiday.

Neil

Leeds

london
Level Contributor
117 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st timers - Which resort????????????????

Hi its most likely too late to comment,as you may have booked already!! but try Vatera for true greece,long beaches and piece and quiet,you can also feed the turtles as they form around the river just off the beach quiet amazing,

also if you have trouble with flights we fly to Athens then a small flight to Lesvos ferrie takes to long,

Anyway hope you have fun.

Lancs
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st timers - Which resort????????????????

Perhaps you have booked already......for Molyvos or Petra but we have just arrived back from staying at the Plaza Palace and can thoroughly recommend the wonderful hotel, you would go a long way to find a more relaxing place. Getting to Petra and Molyvos is easy enough from Anaxos anyway (we walked into Petra most mornings). Either way you will have a fantastic holiday in Lesvos, most people compared it to Parga and Stoupa and we went to Skiathos last year and think that Lesvos is just as nice (and cheaper)

Blackpool
Level Contributor
251 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st timers - Which resort????????????????

hi

just like a previous post we have also done Parga thassos kefalonia and are looking for next year and definately fancy lesbos but none of the big operators seem to feature it any advice on doing it yourself or who best to book with would be great thanks

Get answers to your questions about Lesbos
Recent Conversations