We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the sea really cold round Lesvos?

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,710 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Is the sea really cold round Lesvos?

I've been told that the sea around Lesvos is really cold, is this true? We love swimming and are thinking of travelling to Lesvos independently in July 2013. Where will we find the sea warmest/coldest?

We prefer shingle or pebble beaches away from mass tourism, and we're looking at the Plomari area, Mystegna near Mytilini, and Molyvos - but will sea temperature be an issue?

Bath
Level Contributor
512 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the sea really cold round Lesvos?

The sea can be chilly ..it is dictated by wind direction..so this summer the sea was warmer in Eressos than last year because of the direction staying constant. The northern aegean tends to be a bit cooler than other areas. However it is not anywhere near England cold.. and with air temp up to 40 in August its lovely!! Some of the sheltered bays,like Kalloni and Krousos seem warmer. So yes,it does seem cooler than sea around dodecanese and cyclades,but we stay in the sea for well over an hour at times and its fine!!

London
Level Contributor
593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the sea really cold round Lesvos?

Was in Anaxos in both July Md September this year. When we arrived in July the sea was freezing - far colder than any time in the past. However, after a few days it did warm up pleasantly. In September it was definitely on the cool side (and this comes from someone used to the North Sea!). You could still bathe but you did not want to hang around for too long!

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the sea really cold round Lesvos?

bay of kaloni is fine as is gulf of gera area sigri is also quite nice to swim as is the area around eftalou anaxos is okay in september as is petra.

Molyvos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
572 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the sea really cold round Lesvos?

Cold? You are having a laugh. If you want cold, try Skegness or Monteray, California (two places I can personally vouch for as brrrrrrrrrrr).

Cold is relative, so we generally don't use the word. We swim in Molyvos all year round and so do many locals. The water is normally very pleasant from May to November. The rest of the time it is refreshing with the odd aghhhhhh day.

As others have said above, the shallow bay of Kalloni tends to warm quickly and be less changeable because of the very narrow straights that join it to the see.

Good Grief, you are British. Set that stiff upper lip and enjoy your swim.

England
Level Contributor
515 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the sea really cold round Lesvos?

I was surprised to hear that the sea could be cold/chilly around Lesvos during high season.

We have visited Lesvos on two occasions, both in August and every day I went for a swim or snorkel at different locations around the island and never once had to get out because it was too cold, perhaps I was lucky. I am a big softy when it comes to the sea temperatures (you certainly won’t find me in any water around the British Isles LOL) so I’m sure the sea temperature won’t be an issue.

Happy swimming.....

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the sea really cold round Lesvos?

What is the definition of "cold" water ? Less than 25 degrees ? In that case it is often cold water all around Greece and the islands.

Edited: 21 November 2012, 10:22
Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the sea really cold round Lesvos?

>>>What is the definition of "cold" water ?<<<<<

It's when you optimistically go in and your body goes into deep shock and your lips go blue.

It's occasionally happened to me in various parts of Greece and at all times of the year lol!

Sometimes I believe it's to do with the currents criss-crossing the bays.

But then I am a softy with no body fat and a low tolerance for the cold. :O(

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,710 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the sea really cold round Lesvos?

Thanks for all the replies, I am somewhat reassured! Just so long as we don't actually turn blue or have a heart attack on jumping in (I read a post on this forum which did actually warn against this!!).

RobandCarol, as you're local could you just tell me about the beach at Molyvos? I've read that it is 'mediocre' but if this just means it is not a long swathe of golden sand that is fine by us as we like smaller, pebbly beaches provided they are clean! We are dithering between staying at Michaela Beach Houses right on the Molyvos beach, or at Eftalou which might be a bit quieter in July. Any advice would be most welcome, thanks!

Molyvos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
572 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the sea really cold round Lesvos?

2bristolians,

I've sent you a private message.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the sea really cold round Lesvos?

Hi there

The sea at Petra was certainly cooler in early September this year than any other Greek island we've visited at that time over the years, but still a darn sight warmer than anywhere in the UK in September. The sea in Crete is often hovering around 23-24c in September, I'd estimate it was around 18c in Petra.

We did have a swim when we went to Skala Kalloni and it was noticeably warmer there, as the Gulf is shallow, almost land-locked and therefore it warms up a lot more than the open sea