We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aegean Airlines - New Flight - Manchester to Athens

Molyvos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
617 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Aegean Airlines - New Flight - Manchester to Athens

Aegean Airlines have announced regular flights from Manchester to Athens so you will now be able book a "checked through" flight to Mytilene via Athens.

Flights depart 2 days a week on Saturdays and Mondays. With only 2 flights a week expect them to be full and expensive (compared to Heathrow/Gatwick) but if you book well in advance there are bound to be bargains.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,929 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aegean Airlines - New Flight - Manchester to Athens

And for those of us who might want to break our journey at Athens it adds more flexibility - you could travel one way straight through with Aegean & the other with a combo of Aegean & EasyJet, giving more day/time options. This is great news which could sound the death knell for those charter flights which have become increasingly scarce & unreliable.

Hope it proves popular & they expand from just the current 2 days. Every EasyJet flight I have been on between Manchester & Athens has always been full so I expect the demand is there. It makes Athens even more appealing as a city break.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,929 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aegean Airlines - New Flight - Manchester to Athens

Just tried a dummy booking around our already booked dates in May, (but excluding our stop over in Athens for 4 days).

Outbound flight leaves MAN at 06:40 going via Brussels, arriving Mytilini at 20:05. Exact same timings as our EasyJet/Agean one stop at Athens, for £449 pp.

Homebound leaves Mytilini at 06:50 (was £55, but those last 2 seats at that price just vanished before my eyes to be replaced by ones at £119) or at 13:00 for £137 - both of which then depart Athens on a direct flight to Manchester at 20:20

Aegean do not charge extra for luggage, but all of which for 2 of us would come out at over twice what we have actually paid for our current options including the luggage add-on with EZY, booked several months ago!

I think I might have to learn to swim!

Molyvos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
617 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aegean Airlines - New Flight - Manchester to Athens

The Manchester flights are going to be more expensive than Heathrow/Gatwick. BUT Aegean can work out very cheap with special offers and booking well in advance. Our last return tickets from Mytilene to Heathrow were booked about 5 months in advance and with 30% "special offer" discount - for €198 each including all taxes etc.

Join the Aegean email list to get notices of special offers.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,929 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aegean Airlines - New Flight - Manchester to Athens

We always book early to get best deals, but thought as the flights had only really just come on line it would be interesting exercise to see what is currently available for 2013. I am on the Aegean email list & will second that suggestion for everyone to get signed up ready for the deals for 2014.

We shall be flying into Athens for most of our future trips to Greece anyway so healthy competiiton can only benefit everyone. And I do like the included luggage! Although you have to take care if mixing with EasyJet that Aegean set a hand baggae limit of 8kg & smaller dimensions that EZY, but still pretty good at 55x40x20cm.

oldham
Level Contributor
987 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Aegean Airlines - New Flight - Manchester to Athens

The manchester flights are the cheapest on Mondays and Saturdays when they fly direct to Athens .Did dummy booking a week ago for manchester -Mykonos via Athens and price was only £215.00 including luggage etc.Sometimes (probably most ) will work out cheaper than Easyjet

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Aegean Airlines - New Flight - Manchester to Athens

If you can be flexible, the Autumn Manchester /Athens return flights are less than £150 ; late September early October.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
778 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aegean Airlines - New Flight - Manchester to Athens

This is really good to know, thank you!!

Jackie

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,922 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aegean Airlines - New Flight - Manchester to Athens

Be aware that Aegean do not allow you to take olive oil on board their flights so if you want to take some home, you need to lie about it.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Aegean Airlines - New Flight - Manchester to Athens

They told me the same thing at check in, but it would be OK if the oil was in a wooden box?

Luckily they didn't mention ouzo.

10. Re: Aegean Airlines - New Flight - Manchester to Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2014, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Lesbos
Recent Conversations