We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Lesvos report

Glastonbury, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to Lesvos report

Flew in from Gatwick with monarch for two week stay, on to transfer bus to Kalloni bay hotel, very clean and friendly good breakfast & buffet dinner for 12 euro. We had fridge in our bedroom which was a god send,nice and quiet here, almost on beach front, 5mins walk to square where we eat most nights, tryed different places,Exodus-cafa bar if we did not eat here we ended up here for a drink, Costas ok always busy, kabab shop just before the square where there is a light house outside, where the locals go ( we used three times )very good value here no extras but you was always full up here. Also drove to Petra one evening to have a meal at the womens co-operative to watch the sun set,lovely home cooked meal,melt in the mouth hand made fryed cheese pies,most places gave a free ouzo or dessert after meal, there is a lovely cake shop just outside also sales icecream, cakes a little dear but nice. We never had a bad meal anywhere.

Driving

we hired a car on line before we came with Costas car rental through Lesvos car hire,it came on the tuesday for 10 days, as we had never been here before we wanted to walk about the area first, good for birdwatchers.

It was a bit odd to start with driving on the left and driving a left hand drive car, but we got on well. Some friends we made who had been before took us to some areas to find our bearings, it is pretty easy driving around ( though at times my husband felt sick when I was driving down and around some of those steep hills ).

We drove over to Skala Sikamineas had a cold drink before we drove along the rough beach road along the beach to almost Mithimna . It went on for miles only met two cars, stop for snack that we had with us,then called into Petra for cold drink.

Another day we headed towards Sigri, stopped off in places on route, we did call in at Ipsiloy Monstra then on to Faneromeni beach for our snacks, we meet a man who wanted us to come back to his house to show us what he was making with the pebbles he was collecting ,so we went back well what a surprise he had made a dogs home for his puppy and almost finish making a home for his kitten all out of pebbles.Went on to Sigia stopped for cold drink then went on to rough road along beach on into Meladia valley ,we did see other cars here even a very old opel car,it is just lovely scenery everywhere you go, we do stop and get out.

Another day we were only staying local but ended up almost on mountain olympus never passed a car then drove back down to Agiasos never had time to get out and look about so when we go back we will next time.

In between long trips out we stayed local Tsiknias river, Kalloni salt pans, Achladei forest and other places.

We did take Steve Dudleys birdwatching guide to Lesvos and a freytag & berndt road map of Lesvos which helped us.

Weather very good went up to 33 by the end of first week, only had rain & lighting one day, rained for seconds on & off but still warm.

As the weather was good I did get to see a lot of different butterflies ,all sorts of insects,wild flowers,besides all the colour full birds,not so many second week.

We will be back same time next year we had a fantastic time,most people you meet our friendly ,stop and have a chat, the good weather helped also so peaceful ,Sorry if I have gone on a bit.

We love it.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,664 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Lesvos report

A lovely view of a first visit! And getting off road on your first experience of driving on the wrong side of car & road is a breath of fresh air! Sounds like you discovered plenty of the Lesvos magic - & you'll find the more you visit the more of it there is yet to discover. Due to the hot weather in April the flowers were in many cases past their best this year in May - next time you must go find the fanatastic & rare yellow rhododenrons & cross fingers they are in full flower. We saw them in 2011 but this year they had all gone over.

Did you find the hidden church at Faneromeni?

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Lesvos report

Beware !!!!

I can see the Lesvos addiction starting to get a foothold ;0)

Oh Man!!!

Another victim ;0)

Glastonbury, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Lesvos report

Hi

tisipouro the yellow rhododenrons was on my list but we never looked for them as we guessed they would be over. No we never knew there was a hidden church at faneromeni.

Hi lekistyx

By reading this forum before we went we said this place sounds like it would be for us,we have never been back to any holidays aboard twice this will be a first.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,664 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Lesvos report

The church at Faneromeni is inside a huge rock! A sort of semi-cave. So you simply have to go back & find it - there are several of these on the island. Other examples are a tiny one near Aghia Paraskevi, & the one at Panaghia Kryfti (along the coast from Melinta). Hidden gems!

The rhododendrons are to be found especially in the valleys around Anemotia - in 2011 we walked a forest trail that took us right amongst them & they are truly glorious - both sight & scent are unforgettable!

Warning - Lesvos can seriously damage your future plans to holiday anywhere else!!

uk
Level Contributor
278 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Lesvos report

thanks for your report it sounds like you seen a far bit and well done on having a go at driving around i always leave the driving to my hubby, its our first time to lesbos in july and we also have not done the same island as yet,

carol :)

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,664 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to Lesvos report

<<<< we also have not done the same island as yet >>>>

oh Carol!! (as they say)

Be prepared!

;o)

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit to Lesvos report

Hi maryann

Was the butterfly photo in your avatar taken over there ?It took me forever trying to get a shot of a Scarce Swallowtail 'Iphiclides podalirius' some years ago in Corfu , they don't stay still for very long ,and with a old style 35mm non digital camera it was quite an expensive photo too .

Glastonbury, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit to Lesvos report

Hi

Yes the swallow tail was taken on Lesvos at the mast site that you can see when driving from limnos monastery to Sigri on the left side of the road going up the hill, i am only a happy snapper who uses a canon compact camera while hubby is birding and taking photos. Most birding spots that have flowers will have some butterflies, i was lucky to get all 3 species swallowtails.

9. Re: First visit to Lesvos report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Lesbos
Recent Conversations