We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GPS in Lesvos? Waze?

Israel
Level Contributor
168 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
GPS in Lesvos? Waze?

Hi, I wonder if Waze covers Lesvos, or if there is another GPS software for the iPhone that can be used there. Thanks a lot.

Molyvos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
581 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GPS in Lesvos? Waze?

Don't know if Waze will help you much. I just looked at their website and it seems that the Map for Lesvos is blank.

CoPilot works. http://copilotgps.com/uk/personal/iphone.asp

In all honesty, apart from Mytilene you should not need GPS to find your way around in a car. The island is big but roads are few and signs generally quite good.

Feel free to mail me if you have specific questions.

Israel
Level Contributor
168 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GPS in Lesvos? Waze?

Thanks for this input. What I actually need is a program that will help me out in nature and not so much on the road. I intend to rent a jeep and drive on dirt roads. I do have a road map of Lesvos but I wouldn't mind using also a gps system. I could probably use google map on my iPad and for this I shall need a local sim card. Do you have a any idea how easy (or otherwise...) is it to buy a local sim card for the iPhone in Lesvos?

Mitilíni, Lesvos...
Level Contributor
318 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: GPS in Lesvos? Waze?

Usually there is only one good road to wherever you are going, so you can't get lost, except in Mitilini itself. On my iphone I have tries TomTom (you will probably have to purchase a different map), Waze doesn't seem to work. I'm trying Navigon these days.

Or you can buy one of those old fashioned paper maps, Road publications (Greek publication) is my favorite.

Edited: 28 February 2014, 08:49
South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,176 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GPS in Lesvos? Waze?

If you plan to go off road I would not actually use GPS - more likely you will end up down a dead end goat track driving over boulders!! Get the Freytag & Berndt map of the island - all accessible roads/tracks are on there & I would not advise anyone unfamiliar with the terrain to venture down anywhere that is not marked. The Road Editions map has been out of print for a while & the F & B is slightly bigger scale.

We have explored all over Lesvos off-road & still occasionally get lost down marked & unmarked tracks & one day found ourselves on an army firing range during live exercise! Not recommended! We had actually followed a marked dirt road on our map but it got so rough & narrow it was impossible to go back the way we came & so had to keep going on . . . . & emerged in front of some very startled soldiers!

Do also keep in mind that hire jeeps rarely have proper off-road heavy duty tyres - you do get the ground clearance for rough surfaces but if you burst a tyre you will be in trouble.

Lesvos is wonderful for exploring - have you got any particular off-road areas in mind? Some of the areas are actually better explored on foot as walking can be quicker than driving.

Molyvos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
581 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GPS in Lesvos? Waze?

Lots of places to buy a SIM card for your iPhone or iPad. Available from Vodaphone, OTE, Wind. The internet should give you shop locations.

You will need to take your passport with you for ID. Last time I bought one, it cost €10.

A map is pretty much essential if you want to plan your days out.

If you want to walk there are some good books on walking in Lesvos.

Israel
Level Contributor
168 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GPS in Lesvos? Waze?

Thanks to all of you. Very helpfu advice.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,176 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GPS in Lesvos? Waze?

Have a good trip & please do come back & tell us all about it - we don't hear much from off-roaders!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GPS in Lesvos? Waze?

Waze (now owned by Google) relies on contributions for the traffic information and maps. So maybe not many people contributing for Lesvos. I've not tried it but does Waze support offline maps?

I've got TomTom on my phone these days (there was an offer) but had taken a TomTom 720 GPS device to Lesvos and other places before now. As said you don't really need sat nav to find your way around for most of the island (not done Mytilini yet!) but it might be handy to find nearest petrol station etc. I used it to help me find the Roman Aquaduct last year - not so easy to find in the end.

I am sure CoPilot and others are just as good. Having the maps local to the device (so no worries about data usage) is useful when overseas.

I can only comment on TomTom. You can search for places using the 'English' alphabet but the maps displays with the Greek alphabet for Greek locations. So checking where they are before setting out would be worthwhile. A paper map would probably be of more use.

You say it's more off-roading etc you're interested in. I'm not aware of smartphone/tablet type apps that cover Lesvos. In the UK I use ViewRanger with Ordnance Survey maps for walking but ViewRanger does not cover Greece - well it didn't.

Edit: And as for SIM... I replied with others to your thread on that. Might be easier quicker to grab one when in Athens Airport I would think.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 18:21
9. Re: GPS in Lesvos? Waze?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Lesbos
Recent Conversations