We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering emigrating

London, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Considering emigrating

Hi all,

I'm giving serious thought and consideration to emigrating to lesvos, but although I have the Greek side of te family to help me out there I'm interested to hear any advice or experiences from others that have left blighty for what I consider near paradise

Mitilíni, Lesvos...
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering emigrating

No, no , no. There are no jobs. The only jobs long term are in the tourist "industry", but the tourist season in Lesvos is way to short. A lot of young kids from Lesvos emigrate to the UK and elsewhere.

Just out of curiosity what exactly does your Greek side do for a living and what can you do?

wigan
Level Contributor
354 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering emigrating

Hi Greg I agree with Movieland no jobs unless you are going to live on your savings. Where a bouts on the Island would you settle Dave

London, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering emigrating

It'd be in molyvos, my dad works for the equivalent of the local council, but I would turn my hand at anything job wise,

wigan
Level Contributor
354 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Considering emigrating

Very good friends to the forum Rob and Carol live in Molyvos perhaps they could give you a few pointers. I met them last year in mollys bar , great people they gave me some great advice.I'm sure they will see this post. Dave

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,744 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Considering emigrating

People that I know who have gone from UK to live in Greece are generally older &/or retired & have pension income, private means or are self employed in something they can do from anywhere. I would not think for a young person, without means of monetary support, it is a sensible move in the current financial climate unless you are prepared to find the harsh reality that living on a Greek island is not the same as spending a holiday there.

Greg - you have your Greek roots of course but do you really want to end up in a dead-end seasonal job paying peanuts? And perhaps no income from October to May, depending on family connections to support you? And if you do secure a job does it occur to you that the job you get means one more islander (born & bred there) cannot have that job & perhaps he/she will have to leave their home & family in desperation to make a life for themsleves.

Many people will say "go for it!" & of course I am sure everyone would wish you all the luck in the world, but it is a big move & you have to think about what you will do if it does not work out.

Eftalou, Greece
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Considering emigrating

My advice DON'T DO IT!!!!!!

At present young people are leaving Greece as fast as they can!!!

Consider over 60% youth unemployment!

There is no work!

Seriously consider this, now is not the time! Things are really very bad here

Molyvos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
572 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Considering emigrating

As everyone else has said, unemployment in Greece is a big issue and Molyvos is no different.

Your Dad will tell you, times are hard and jobs almost impossible to find.

Moving home is a big step, moving countries is even bigger. If, after reading these comments, you still want to give it a go I would suggest that you find work before you make an expensive relocation. You also need a 'Plan B' as jobs have a habit of disappearing.

Lots to think about and weigh up.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Considering emigrating

What's the reason for you doing this in the first place?

I get the getting out of the UK bit, but as others have said. Greece is not the place to go atm.

wigan
Level Contributor
354 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Considering emigrating

Think carefully people from the UK and from Greece giving you advice. some of these people are living it . MY wife and I are thinking of moving over to lesvos but I have took early retirement and we still have to really think about things . Dave

Wolverhampton
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Considering emigrating

I agree with all of the above, its a MASSIVE move mate and you need to be 100% sure that its the right one for you if you are going to do it ...........