We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lesvos Car Hire

barnoldswick
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Lesvos Car Hire

First visit to Lesvos two weeks today. Booked a car through Lesvos car hire after all the recommendations on here. Quick question, do those that use them take out their excess insurance, buy their own in this country or don't bother at all. I understand that they are very reputable and wont find imaginary damage like other companies and that also their cars are not brand new so just wondering what you guys do. Thanks in advance.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll...
Level Contributor
736 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lesvos Car Hire

Hello Chris.

We buy an annual excess car hire insurance and it saves a small fortune.

We just inform the car hire and take a print out with us. Saves us on average €50 for two weeks hire.

This year when we bought our cover we still saved €27 on our first hire once the cost of the cover and the reduction of first hire taken into account. The second and third hires will obviously have much bigger savings eg..€78 savings on Milos car hire in September.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,369 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lesvos Car Hire

Whilst reputable car hire firms will not scam you for scratches (real or imaginary), punctures etc you are still taking a risk if there is major damage & you don't have cover. Someone could run into you & cause serious damage, you might hit a rock or pothole in the road & damage a wheel, the car may be stolen (unlikely but not impossible) etc etc. We use an excess policy - about £40 per annum - which not only covers the excess amount but also damage to underside, glass & mirrors, lost keys & covers our personal stuff as long as it is locked in the boot/concealed in glove box etc.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lesvos Car Hire

Lesvos Car Hire used to include full insurance cover in all the rentals. Starting this year this changed and you could either get full cover with zero excess or be liable for an excess of €500. Full cover was more costly for rentals but not by much.

For a group B car, three days rental would have been €89.85 with a €500 excess, or €104.70 with no excess. So the additional cost for no excess was €4.95/day. I assume it's the same regardless of car group. We actually got a discount and the price for us with full cover was lower.

But this year I also have a separate policy for car hire excess because we've hired a few cars. Probably the same one as tsipouro because it was £39.99.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,089 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lesvos Car Hire

We buy annual excess insurance from insurance4carhire.com who are recommended by Which. Well worth it for the peace of mind especially on unmade roads as it covers the underside, glass etc.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 17:26
South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,369 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lesvos Car Hire

We have always used Questor Insurance. I just renewed for an annual policy (which will cover 2 planned trips to Greece) for £32! Loyalty discounts applied Yay!!

Covers excess reimbursement, tyres, glass & underside (as long as driving on a designated road, which in Greece can be a dirt road), towing, personal accident & baggage, lost keys, curtailment, mis-fuelling etc so well worth it for peace of mind. I regard it as also protecting our friendly hire company against US!

Apparently premiums are so low because there are relatively few claims. And in the event of a claim it will be so much easier to deal with an English speaking company based back home rather than wrangling long distance with non-English communications. I only ever came across one person who made a claim & they said it was easy peasy.

6. Re: Lesvos Car Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Lesbos
Recent Conversations