We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theophilos

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Theophilos

I visited the museum earlier this week, and was wondering if anyone knew of any of his existing murals in any of the cafes or tavernas on the island.

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theophilos

Hi Zakrosian

Never seen them myself but I think there may be some remaining fragments at the taverna / cafenion at Karini, where the hollow tree is located that Theofilos supposedly lived in.

Good hunting

Phil

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,445 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Theophilos

Yes - there some at Karini, but they are very faded & not protected/under preservation. It's worth a visit as it is a lovely cool spot for a drink/snack & you can go inside the hollow tree. I have heard that there are other such examples on the island but never found out just whereabouts.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theophilos

thanks very much - was thinking of going to Assiagos within the next few days, and looks like it'll be easy to stop in on the way.

wigan
Level Contributor
349 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theophilos

Yes Karini , but it's a little faded and the tree it's self is held up with orange box boards but still worth a look. Enjoy

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Theophilos

thanks again - is Karini an actual town? I can find Keramia on the map I'm using, and between it and Assomatos I see Karini identified as a "toponym".

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,445 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Theophilos

Karini is no more than a blip on the map & not much more on the ground! There is not much more there than the cafe & usually a roadside stall selling local produce, ice creams & gifts. Easily missed - we went passed it twice the first time we were looking for it!! On the old Road Editions map it is open to interpretation as to where it actually is! But if you have the Freytag map you;'ll see the springs marked at a junction with the road & paths heading north & south. The cafe is set back a little from the road on your left as you head towards Keramia. Going south at this point is a kalderimi path to Agiassos which may well be signposted. The northbound path heads to Lambou Mili.

In the same area (a bit nearer to Keramia) is To Mylelia water mill - an intriguing old place, where you used to be able to also get a drinks & local produce but it was looking very run down last time we visited & the produce for sale (mainly preserves) was in very dusty jars on very dusty shelves. Tasted fine though when the jars were cleaned off & the seals were OK!

Further west, beyond the turning for Agiassos, there is a loop of old road at Agios Dimitrios. If you divert off the new road section down into the valley there is a delightful old cafe where three generations of ladies cook & sell their preserves & spoon fruits. A fantastic little place!

These are the sorts of places on the island that you don't see unless you drive & explore.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Theophilos

tsipouro - many thanks for your suggestions. These are exactly the kinds of things I'm looking for now that I've seen many of the "guide book" recommendations.

Another question: do you know the story behind these old and new ruins at Thermi?

https:/…

8. Re: Theophilos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 05:46
Edited: 14 June 2014, 05:46
Molyvos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
568 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Theophilos

Go to Google maps.

Enter coordinates 39.118989, 26.388699

Click on Street View and....voilà it is like you are driving down (or is it up) the road.

It gives you all the landmarks to look out for. If you have GPS or smartphone, enter the coordinates in your map app and let it do the work.

As you head towards Agiasos, Karini is on the right. It is best to turn into Karini and park behind the building on the right, there is plenty of shade.

Edited: 14 June 2014, 05:49
Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Theophilos

Rob - thanks. I'll know that I've gone too far if I start hitting the switchbacks. And it was a delight meeting you and Carol at Molly's the other night.