We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dirt road between Plomari and Agiasos

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,447 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Dirt road between Plomari and Agiasos

We drove down this road today in our hired Corsa and it was absolutely fine, in fact one of the better Greek dirt roads we've driven on. A smooth, compacted dirt surface with a few small loose pebbles but no large stones and no pot holes. Lovely views and it took than half the time of our ascent via the paved route. I have seen dire warnings about the state of this road but I think these were from people who drove it in the spring, after the winter weather had messed it up and before the annual (I assume) scraping and levelling.

Of course if your insurance does not cover you for driving on unsurfaced roads you are taking a calculated risk but the condition of the road at the moment should not worry anyone.

I will post a full trip report in due course!

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,708 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dirt road between Plomari and Agiasos

That's good to know. Does sound as though it has been improved. Of course there was a lot of serious damage in that area in winter 2012/13 so hopefully money has been found to repair & renovate the frequently used roads, even the unsealed ones. Last time we went over there in a 4WD it was dreadful in places!. It is a wonderful route, with astounding views & as you say a good "shortcut" alternative.

Good to hear from you - hope Lesvos is living up to all expectations!

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dirt road between Plomari and Agiasos

The dirt road between Stypsi and Vafios was an interesting challenge even as an experienced off roader in a decentish Suzuki jeep. Best views ever on northern Lesvos, worth the challenge. Trickiest of all though was getting through Vafios village without losing paint on both sides of the truck and looking like a total plonker, be warned, v narrow, donkey a better option probably!

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,708 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dirt road between Plomari and Agiasos

LOL! We did the Vafios route from Stypsi last year, because I could not remember why we had never done it again since our second ever trip to Lesvos. Then I found out! You are spot on about the views & the need for a narrow vehicle (we also use Jimnys) - my OH was driving & the only thing that persuaded him to keep going down those streets was me asking how he thought we could possibly give up & go back!! It's a relief to land back on tarmac with side mirrors & the paint down the sides of the Jeep still in place! Fun!! But I've promised we'll walk it next time!

4. Re: Dirt road between Plomari and Agiasos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Lesbos