We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need a change from Skiathois

Staffs
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
need a change from Skiathois

Pining for Greece but tired of Skiathos- Would love a private house/ villa with three bedrooms near the sea- Not sure how to start my search, do I book accommodation and flights separately or is there somewhere I can look for a one stop shop? Any advice would be so welcome as I venture out of my comfort zone! - Kind regards and Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Skiathos
Skiathos
Sporades, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need a change from Skiathois

Hey and welcome Jan6794:-) Well, you're certainly taking a leap.. from one of the smallest isles to one of the largest:-) Do you have any specific place/area on the isle you're interested in staying?;-) Again, this is large isles and can take days to drive around it.. as opposed to Skiathos which takes barely 30 min to get from one end to the other;-) Great move regardless.. this is a wonderful isle.. doesn't depend on tourism to survive and loads of great locals (as I find always in the Country!) with lots of int'l visitors as well;-)

Coming from the States, I have no choice really but to head to Athens and fly/ferry out of there! Am sure you'll get some great recs here on both options to include directs;-)It would also help if you gave a bit more info.. like *when* are you travelling.. budget spread, etc;-) Happy planning.. and EnJOY!

Mentioned in this post
Skiathos
Skiathos
Sporades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
15,476 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need a change from Skiathois

Lesvos from UK direct means using a charter flight (& flights only for these are so expensive it can almost be worth booking a package but not using the accomodation) from Manchester or Gatwick & supposedly in 2015 from Birmingham.

Or you can fly with a choice of carriers to Athens & onwards with Aegean. Aegean do the Athens from UK leg which means you can get bags checked right through & they will take care of arrangements if any flight is delayed making you late for connection. This also means you are not tied to 7 or 14 days.

There is also the ferry option from Athens, but this takes several hours - some regard the journey as part of the adventure of course.

A good place to look for accommodation is via a site like Booking.com for anyone who is not familiar with the island. Or you can book direct with many of the package providers mentioned on here.

Lesvos is an island of contrasts & to make the most of it you really need a car as public transport is geared to locals use not visitors.

You can choose to stay in the popular resorts or get away to less busy corners where package deals are not available. Suggest you read these forums to get more of a picture of what might appeal & lots here will help with further information.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
6,149 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need a change from Skiathois

We just flew to Lesvos with Aegean Airlines, changing at Athens. It was very straightforward with our bags checked all the way through which made for a very easy transfer in Athens.

Lesvos is not a very "touristy" island. It is certainly very different from Skiathos. I doubt if there are many villas for rent - HomeAway.co.uk lists only eight 3 bed properties on Lesvos: homeaway.co.uk/search/…3

You can find my trip reports on the Lesvos forum if you're interested.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need a change from Skiathois

Fly with Agean via Athens lovely flight and if you book at right time get some good prices 2 weeks in July flights with 23 kg luggage £300 . Hire car from Lesvos car hire from airport Costas and Alison. Not sure about Villa as we stay with Alison . You will love the Island especially if u like walking lots to see and very relaxing have fun

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
5. Re: need a change from Skiathois

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 05:16