We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samos or Lesvos

England
Level Contributor
554 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Samos or Lesvos

Hi

Help needed please, we cannot make our minds up between Samos and Lesvos for a 2 week stay in August(asking the same question on the Lesvos Forum too)

I appreciate both islands will be busy and very hot at this time of the year.

So which do we choose, we are in our fifties, happy to hire a car to see as much as possible, like to get away from the crowds (in the hire car), like things to do rather than laying on a beach most of the time, must have good swimming/snorkeling locations available, again away from the crowds, prefer to stay in a none commercial location if possible.

Lesvos does seem to have a lot more sites of heritage/ancient monuments and places of interest etc to visit, I'm not sure if Samos can compete in that sense.

In the past we have had good holidays in Parga, Stoupa, Thassos, Kefalonia, went to Crete but wasn't too keen, cannot explain why, it just didn't tick the right boxes for some reason.

Decisions, decisions which one is right for us?.........any help from like minded people, who have perhaps been to both islands would be much appreciated.

mulch

Mentioned in this post
Samos
Samos
494 Reviews
Samos, Greece
Parga
Parga
Preveza Region, Greece
Stoupa
Stoupa
Messenia Region, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samos or Lesvos

My wife and myself have been to Lesvos. We stayed at The Blue Sky Hotel in Petra. George, Maria and Antony their son do a brillient job of making your holiday a really great experience. The Hotel is spotless as is the pool and the pool area. George does a mean barby once a week, There are many really good places to eat in Petra and Molyvos where most of the restaurants are around the fishing harbour. After enjoying your evening meal, the bar at the Blue Sky is very inviting for a nightcap. Lesvos is an island were if you want to hire a car, there are plenty of places to visit. Onto Samos . In 2007 we went to stay at the Sofia Hotel in Kambos with Stavros Sofia and Vasillis there son. Who together with Vangellis made it a great holiday. Read my review on Tripadvisor. Then you decide. If it was me. I would do Lesvos in 2008 and Samos in 2009. Then Koukanaries on Skiathos. Read my review on Tripadvisor. Then to top it off. i would go to Perissa on Santorini. Again see my review on Tripadvisor. Happy travelling. Jurassic Spark.

Mentioned in this post
Samos
Samos
494 Reviews
Samos, Greece
Sofia Hotel
Sofia Hotel
160 Reviews
Samos, Greece
Sofia
Sofia
Sofia Region, Bulgaria
Skiathos
Skiathos
Sporades, Greece
Perissa
Perissa
Santorini, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
England
Level Contributor
554 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samos or Lesvos

Thanks jurassicspark

The more information I get on Lesvos the more I'm drawn towards this island...........as you say "Lesvos 2008 and Samos 2009".

I like the idea of staying in a quiet village with a lively one nearby for a choice of tavernas etc.

Thanks again for your reply

Mentioned in this post
Samos
Samos
494 Reviews
Samos, Greece
uk
Level Contributor
195 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samos or Lesvos

Samos for me have been to both but samos is quieter.

Mentioned in this post
Samos
Samos
494 Reviews
Samos, Greece
lincolnshire
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Samos or Lesvos

Well I am going to confuse you even more, I have been to both islands also I have been to Skiathos and we stayed in the town lovely island

Mentioned in this post
Skiathos
Skiathos
Sporades, Greece
North Midlands...
Level Contributor
110 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Samos or Lesvos

Samos is much smaller than Lesvos and easier to get around either by bus or hire car.

Otherwise there is little difference - both islands are charming and traditional and less expensive than other more touristy islands.

Both islands main towns are interesting to visit although I would say that Samos town is perhaps a bit more cosmopolitan than Molyvos, and has a huge central square where you can sit and sip a cool drink and people watch.

Lesvos has many contrasting areas and beaches : shingle / sand / rock in different areas, whereas Samos is mainly green / limestony hills and shingle beaches.

Whichever you choose you will find hospitality and traditional Greek courtesy on either .

Thira

Mentioned in this post
Samos
Samos
494 Reviews
Samos, Greece
Samos Town
Samos Town
Samos, Greece
England
Level Contributor
554 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Samos or Lesvos

Thanks for the reply Thira

I think we have now decided on Lesvos for our July/August holiday as it seems to 'tip the scales' on places of interest and find places to be able to get away from the summer crowds.

My next task is to research for a suitable hotel/accommodation ie. not too big, clean and well maintained, amazing views, quiet position, friendly and helpful owners, good tavernas nearby.......not necessary in that order. So this should keep me occupied for a few weeks.

Thanks again everybody for your help in deciding.

mulch

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Samos or Lesvos

A very nice hotel is the Sea Horse in Molyvos. It's only drawback is that you'd have to drive to find a good beach. Otherwise, it fits your criteria nicely:

http://www.seahorse-hotel.com/

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Samos or Lesvos

Hi,

Have been to 25 Greek Islands would definitely not go back to Lesvos. Hired a car and everywhere we went to the 'sights' everyone told us about it was 'is that it?' Lesvos doesn't need tourists like some of the islands as much as it has a good ouzo production industry. Petra itself is ok and so is Molyvos just lacked something that a lot of the other islands had - can't put my finger on it. To cap it all got chatted up by another female more than once much to the amusement of my husband and from speaking to other people I'm not the only one.

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Samos or Lesvos

In my opinion, Lesbos is the most charming Greek island (of those I have visited). I have toured it for almost 2 weeks and there is lots of remarkable sights and experiences to be had. One example is the village of Aggiasou which is like where time stood still, so tranquill. You see the real Greece and also have the usual touristy stuff in Molivos etc. Go for it and you will love it forever ; )

Mentioned in this post
Lesbos
Lesbos
Northeast Aegean Islands, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
England
Level Contributor
554 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Samos or Lesvos

Thanks again to all who have replied to my enquiry.

zakrosian........the Seahorse-hotel does sound like our kind of accommodation, whether you can book through one of the holiday companies which we probably will be traveling with, I've yet to check.

GreekExpert.....we generally look for the more laid back places to just 'amble' around, rather than the busy attractions which can be found elsewhere. I heard Lesbos described like a larger Thassos......if this is the case we will be more than happy.

nickthegreek74.......thanks for the recommendation for the village of Aggiasou, made a note to check this out when we go.

mulch

Mentioned in this post
Lesbos
Lesbos
Northeast Aegean Islands, Greece
Get answers to your questions about Samos